A suggestion for those sick of turkey - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-26-2015, 10:37 PM   #1
OR Hill
A suggestion for those sick of turkey

Happy Thanksgiving all. Had my SD tiger out for a cruise today after lunch. He seemed kind of intrigued by holiday smells. Turns out he found the roast turkey quite tasty. Then the other one smelled it and had a slice too. I am thankful for such funny snakes.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2015, 01:03 PM   #2
kellan.pets
Awesome man!!!

Sent from my LGL15G using Tapatalk

Old 11-29-2015, 08:50 AM   #3
Big Borg Reptiles
Lol. My retic decided she wanted some rotisserie chicken once, she ended up getting my fingers along with it. Thankfully she's a SD so no biggie, I was surprised she was even interested in it though. By far my favorite snakes to have out and play with.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:29 AM   #4
AbsoluteApril
most snakes love poultry, chicken and turkey, usually I've seen people give it to them raw though.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
bigjej
I've fed my kingsnakes raw chicken hearts and strip of meat when I was short on feeders. They loved it. I currrently have a bag of frozen chicks that I bought for my now deceased carpet python. Debating whether to try and feed it to my ball python so as not to waste them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 11-29-2015, 01:56 PM   #6
OR Hill
MCMB-2 I totally concur. I never imagined having snakes that would like a table scrap. Did yours do an ambush strike on that chicken?

bigjej - I tried feeding my BP raw chicken once, he did the snake version of running and screaming “Ew, ew, ew!”

Old 11-29-2015, 06:21 PM   #7
bigjej
Have never fed chicken to my bP but i have a bage of frozen chicks that Id rather not throw away so figured Id give a shot. Just a little concerned about any digestive problems/inpaction from the chick beaks.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Old 11-29-2015, 06:27 PM   #8
Helenthereef
I feed small chicks to mine and you never see a beak or bones in the droppings so I presume they digest just fine. Only thing I find don't digest are proper feathers (not fluffy down) which do turn up, disconcertingly, in the droppings. So, if your frozen chicks have any proper feathers I'd pluck them out, otherwise all should be fine.

To the OP - I feed poultry to my snakes all the time but have never tried it cooked - how funny! Do they prefer roast or fried????

Old 11-29-2015, 06:30 PM   #9
Big Borg Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by OR Hill View Post
Did yours do an ambush strike on that chicken?
I was letting her free roam and was sitting on the couch eating the chicken. I looked over and she was on the edge of the couch looking at it pretty intently, so I tore off a piece and held it in front of her kind of as a joke. Had no idea she would actually take it or I'd have been a little more careful haha.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:31 PM   #10
Big Borg Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
most snakes love poultry, chicken and turkey, usually I've seen people give it to them raw though.
I know a lot of snakes are bird eaters, I was just surprised that they'd take a hunk of cooked chicken/turkey meat. You'd think the smell would be completely different than what would normally get them going.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!