Bad Guy David Martinez - BoidaeRepin 100 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-10-2019, 11:44 PM   #1
KBenker
David Martinez - BoidaeRepin 100

On July 9th, David Martinez - BoidaeRepin100 - replied to my ad of Costa Rican boas for sale. We had a brief conversation via messenger, then moved to e-mail, as it’s easier to send pictures that way. He asked about a payment plan, I told him I could be flexible, but required a $100 down payment. I sent individual pictures of all available snakes on 7/10 and he picked out a pair. There were some delays on his part (work, needing to transfer money), on 7/12 he sends a deposit of $75 and apologizes for being short due to forgetting about an auto pay. I accept and he requests more information/pictures, which I provide. I don’t hear from him in a while, probably should have sent him reminders, but just lost track. I e-mail him again on 8/21, wondering if he’s still interested in the pair. I’ve got a table booked for a reptile show and since he hadn’t made a payment, I’m planning on taking those snakes along. He replies very quickly, tells me he would send a payment in 2 days and that his father is in the hospital in intensive care. I know how things can get with an ill family member, so tell him I can wait. Next time I hear from him is 9/10, letting me know he can pay off the balance on he boas in October. Next contact is on 10/5, letting me know he’ll be able to pay the balance and appreciates my patience. He then contacts me on 10/30, telling me he had to move to be closer to his father and due to paying deposit and rent, he won’t be able to pay. At this point I let him know that I have a table booked for a reptile show the weekend of December 7/8 and if the boas aren’t paid off by then, they will go up for sale. He contacts me on 12/2, offering me a payment of $200 to be made on Friday (12/6), with remaining balance paid 2 weeks later. Friday comes and goes, no money is sent. Next time I hear from him is while I’m at the show. He wants to know if he can still send the money, so I tell him he’s got about 30 minutes before the show opens and that I’ll need his payment by then. Not a word until later in the afternoon - I just briefly saw his mail come in, but was busy with customers throughout the afternoon. I message when I get home, that the snakes didn’t sell and I’m still willing to accept payment. If he sends it, I’ll be taking them off the table first thing in the morning. The only reply I get, is him asking if I left them at the show and if there’s even heat! At this point I’m so done with this. I’ve attached all conversation. Today, he files a claim on PayPal for item not received, after a brief review, PayPal sides with him and refunds his deposit. Now this is not about the money, I’ll chalk this up as a major learning experience. My big mistakes - I never specified that the deposit is non-refundable in any conversation and should have stayed on top of things better. Just never had something like this happen to me. This won’t be happening again, I have updated my TOS and they will be attached to every reply to inquiries. Next time I have someone short me on the initial, due to whatever reason, that deposit will be going right back to where it came from
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2019, 11:45 PM   #2
KBenker
More e-mails
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2019, 11:47 PM   #3
KBenker
Last set.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
Herpin Man
From a seller's viewpoint, this makes a good argument for not taking deposits or holding animals for people.
From a buyer's viewpoint, this makes a good argument for not buying herps when you really can't afford them.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:29 PM   #5
elena
David Martinez is local to me and I've had several less than ideal run-ins with him.

1) He's supposed to drop off some feeder rats at my place. He shows up over three hours late (in the middle of the night) and does not bring the right sizes of animals.

2) He claims a million times that he wants to buy boas from me, but he no-shows several times and the sale never happens.

3) Contacts me to buy a rack, changes the time and date of the meeting several times, eventually the rack does get sold.

4) Wants to be on the waiting list for more boas. I'm not holding my breath for a transaction to take place.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:57 PM   #6
scappellino
So sorry that you had to deal with this drama Karin. I've been there and done that and that is why I no longer breed and sell snakes. Its also why I don't play games with people when they have something I want. I certainly don't waste their time when I don't have the money to buy their animals. We are not talking about $20,000 snakes here. Agree on a price and send money via paypal a few minutes later. Very simple. Good luck finding new buyers.

PS - I love the pair of Costa Rican boas that I got from you a few months ago. They are awesome and doing great :-)

Old 12-12-2019, 09:19 AM   #7
KBenker
Quote:
Originally Posted by scappellino View Post
So sorry that you had to deal with this drama Karin. I've been there and done that and that is why I no longer breed and sell snakes. Its also why I don't play games with people when they have something I want. I certainly don't waste their time when I don't have the money to buy their animals. We are not talking about $20,000 snakes here. Agree on a price and send money via paypal a few minutes later. Very simple. Good luck finding new buyers.

PS - I love the pair of Costa Rican boas that I got from you a few months ago. They are awesome and doing great :-)
Thank you Steve! I'm glad you enjoy the boas. I'm sure tempted to keep this pair, I've had them for so long now! It's nice when all we have to figure out is what's the safest day to ship.

He sure showed what he's made off, when he didn't even bother to ask for the deposit back. Just went straight to PayPal.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #8
mbeach
Hi Karin - DON'T DO IT.
See my email I just sent you. Please call me.
Thanks
Michael Beach

Old 12-12-2019, 11:21 AM   #9
elena
Michael, David Martinez told me he’d purchased some animals from you. He made it sound like you were his best friend now. How did that transaction go, from your perspective?

Old 12-12-2019, 11:30 AM   #10
mbeach
I just spoke with Karin.
Yup he's the same David Martinez. I sold him several pairs of locale boas and thought we had a real nice relationship going on. I trusted him, I shared alot of info, etc.. but he still owes me $880 since Sept. 16 2019. I'm sure I'll never see it.
There ya go David. I told you this is a small herp world and the word gets out. I also warned you that you would end up on the BOI. Now you screwed with Karin (my friend). So it's not just from me.
Don't trust this guy.