Wanted Bark Anole Pair (Anolis distichus) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Lizards For Sale/Wanteds > Other Lizards

Notices

Old 08-16-2017, 10:18 PM   #1
Carl
Bark Anole Pair (Anolis distichus)

Hello,
After realizing how difficult A. allisoni are to find (still keeping my eyes pealed) I am trying to find something to fill my 12x12x18 viv that used to house my L. williamsi. I remember catching and hearing about a green phase of Bark Anole in the Miami-Dade part of Florida back when I was on vacation there. Looking for a pair, preferably of the green phase (I think I found them in the Fairchild Gardens area or in a neighborhood near Snakes at Sunset looking for A. garmani)
Photo credits: wild herps & wiki
Attached Images

Contact User Check User
Old 08-16-2017, 10:32 PM   #2
Carl
I think it was on Key Biscayne that I saw them.
  Contact User Check User
Old 08-16-2017, 10:54 PM   #3
James L
I know the species and the mentioned areas very well. I was planning on doing a big collect soon with barks high on my list. I'll have what you are looking for soon.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:59 PM   #4
James L
I should also mention, I've never seen one as green as the middle photo in FL. Only about half that green with more cryptic markings.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:44 PM   #5
Carl
Yeah, I haven't either. I've seen pictures from the Ft. Lauderdale area but they might of been shopped. I think wildherps said that that one was in the Dominican Rep.
  Contact User Check User
Old 08-18-2017, 12:26 PM   #6
Scrooge
Yes the solid green ones are very rare although I have collected a few they are literally the needle in the haystack. The half green ones are around but also not so Common-. The "South Florida" Bark anole vary immensely in markings, color, size, and dewlap(size and color)... there are several species/subspecies and actually inter species breeding going through rapid rate evolution in some areas of South Florida. Anoles will evolve to fill any free ecological niche, many from the different islands will look the same and have the same roles but for example a "Bark/ Distichus" from island A are closer related genetically to the "Cuban Knight like Canopy Anole" of the island A instead of a similar looking Distichus anole from another island B. Although there might be some Half body lightly colored green males every now and again of Distichus I believe the Solid Bold green Distichus Type You are looking for is a different species or subspecies. It's exactly Like saying you want a blue phase Amercian Green Anole, Although it may exist what you want is Allisoni etc- a different species that has blue markings but is similar looking to the green anole.

I attached a picture I took recently of Brown Anole Combating a Crested or big head anole a Couple weeks ago- Over lapping species that cover the same niche fighting for space and possibly interbreeding. Crested or Big head anole on the brick- yellowish green body, lime green dewlap. Brown anole in the mulch- Brown with yellow spots and Red dewlap. They are not different color phases of each other, they are different species That look similar.
James If you do Collect a few Greenish ones please Post or PM me I would be very curious to see exactly what species it is.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2017, 01:59 PM   #7
Carl
Yeah James, let me know if you get some, I love for a pair of half green ones. Also, Scrooge, I brought back what I thought were a pair of juvenile brown anoles last time I was in Miami was the female I caught looked pregnant (Mind you theyre only slightly smaller than the size of a bark anole) and so far since June Ive found two hatchlings in the enclosure. Any ideas?
  Contact User Check User
Old 08-18-2017, 03:18 PM   #8
James L
Will do. I've got a few fairly segregated spots that I hit up that have some nice barks. Males are the tougher of the two sexes to find and catch though. Hopefully I can get you at least 1 nice male. Females are far more abundant. What I can also suggest is getting you what appears to be gravid females from the nicer locales and you can try your luck hatching some out for killer male. I use this method regularly to obtain animals I'm looking. Anoles retain for a couple months or more usually. So you may get several eggs from 1 female that has mated with multiple males. I'll send you a pm in a few weeks with the results of my hunts. Just waiting for the weather to drop a wee bit before I go looking. To hot down here even for lizards haha!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!