UPS Snake Awareness - "we dont ship snakes! " - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #51
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
You're welcome. It was a tedious process getting the dang PDF from USF&W. I had to wait several months for a response and explain myself twice before they gave me the exact requirements.
In that case.... can one of the mods copy that post into another thread and sticky it. If its that hard to get from them... dont want to loose it in the shuffle of threads moving down.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #52
StrictlyExotics
Quote:
You're welcome. It was a tedious process getting the dang PDF from USF&W. I had to wait several months for a response and explain myself twice before they gave me the exact requirements.
I am relieved to know that I was following what I thought were the guidelines by how I did it.

Kevin, thank you for also letting me know how you do it last night as well. Was a great conversation for two people who generally dont like speaking to people. I will be doing the invoice inside the box between the styrofoam and cardboard as you suggested.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:05 PM   #53
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Wolf View Post
In that case.... can one of the mods copy that post into another thread and sticky it. If its that hard to get from them... dont want to loose it in the shuffle of threads moving down.
If you click here you can download the full PDF from my server (it's also listed on on my website in my Shipping Live Harmless Reptiles article...which looks like may need to be amended with all this going down with SYR...). I also have the full Lacey Act PDF from them, click here.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:06 PM   #54
Southern Wolf
Do you realize it was 5:30 this morning before I got in bed? After I got off the phone with you I still watched my movie

The pouches that I use with my labels are resealable... so I may start putting the invoices inside that pouch... then adding a sticker to the outside saying "invoice in pouch under label"

Old 05-23-2010, 10:06 PM   #55
Southern Wolf
Thanks Steph

Old 05-23-2010, 11:20 PM   #56
WingedWolf
It took me quite a lot of searching to find all of the documents associated with labeling under the Lacey Act. The most important one is the one just posted here. Putting the information on the species and number inside of the box is NOT sufficient--it clearly states that this information should accompany the shipment, and gives the example of it being in a pouch attached to the outside of the box. If it is inside the package, it is not readily accessible. They would have to cut the tape and open the box, and then re-seal it in order to get the info--that's not acceptable. Remember, the point of this is that ANYONE handling the package can quickly check what is in the box while it is en route.

No one who doesn't care or doesn't need to know is going to open up the shipping label pouch to look, so those who want the info away from the prying eyes of most handlers can still satisfy their paranoia by putting it there. The important part is to make a note that the info is there--as the instructions posted here demand.

Officials who need the info then know exactly where to look and can get it quickly.

This is good for them, for you, and for the animal, as it means less delay.

I've tried to share this information, and posted that document myself before, but people just don't seem to read it.

So, again--putting the invoice or information INSIDE of the box only is NOT in compliance with the Lacey Act. It must be accessible without opening the box.

People go around in circles over this--they want to hide that information. It's illegal to hide that information. There's no grey area here. EVERYONE should be complying with the Lacey Act. It's easy! It's good for the herp community--we need good publicity. Having HUGE numbers of people shipping animals illegally is BAD publicity, and the time is ripe for them to crack down on it, and catch hundreds of people who are doing it. They're just itching for more ways to make us look bad.

Don't let yourself be part of the problem that way.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #57
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWolf View Post
Putting the information on the species and number inside of the box is NOT sufficient--it clearly states that this information should accompany the shipment, and gives the example of it being in a pouch attached to the outside of the box. If it is inside the package, it is not readily accessible. They would have to cut the tape and open the box, and then re-seal it in order to get the info--that's not acceptable. Remember, the point of this is that ANYONE handling the package can quickly check what is in the box while it is en route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWolf View Post
So, again--putting the invoice or information INSIDE of the box only is NOT in compliance with the Lacey Act. It must be accessible without opening the box.
For arguments sake, that is not exactly true. I agree strongly that a pouch is the best option to prevent opening of packages, but 50 CFR 15 does not say it is not acceptable to be on top of the packing material (styrofoam) nor did the USF&W representative I spoke with state otherwise. "Readily accessible" and "physically accompany" can mean different things depending on who you talk to. Again, I agree it is the best method...But as far as a packing list being included directly inside the package being a violation of the Lacey Act...No, I have not seen any documentation or been told that is the case by any Official...Nothing that I've seen (or been told) states that it has to be accessible without opening the box.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:40 PM   #58
TripleMoonsExotic
Honestly, if we could just get people to label the outside packages appropriately to start, I think we'd be taking a huge step in the right direction. So many don't even do that!

Old 05-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #59
Wraith
Quote:
If you click here you can download the full PDF from my server (it's also listed on on my website in my Shipping Live Harmless Reptiles article...which looks like may need to be amended with all this going down with SYR...). I also have the full Lacey Act PDF from them, click here.
The links don't go to any pdf documents... just a blog page.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:19 PM   #60
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
The links don't go to any pdf documents... just a blog page.
O, booger. I forgot I cleaned out my server. Thank you for letting me know. I've attached 50 CFR 15 with this message...I'll have to dig for the Lacey Act PDF.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 50 CFR 14 10.2008.pdf (201.7 KB, 66 views)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!