Blood Python Question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
LunaLupus
Blood Python Question

Hi folks, my house has just recently acquired a young Blood Python. I was wondering about their feeding.

We got her on 8-30, and about a week later she ate a F/T fuzzy rat. However she hasn't eaten since.

Should I just give her some more time before I try to feed her again?

Oh, she has been to the vet for a check-up. The hubby thought she had a respiratory infection, but it seems she just bubbles when he handles her.

She has also had one incomplete shed. She actually shed while I was giving her a soak, however she still has some skin on her head that I am not sure if I should help her with or leave it alone.

Thank you for any input.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
Muril
it would be my guess based on having a stuck shed that the humidity is not high enough in his/her cage. i keep mine at or right around 65% accept when they are actually shedding or going blue then i up it to around 80% and that works for mine.

can you describe his/her cage setup?

Old 09-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
kclack2727
watch the temperature. I have had bloods go off feed for months and couldnt figure why and then I adjusted temps and it helped a lot. in my experience a respiratory infection would have something to do with off feed as well.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
LunaLupus
She is currently housed in a 29 gallon tank. It has two hides (warm side and cool side), a humidity box and a water dish that have sections in both the hot and cool side. She's currently kept on the reptile carpeting after trying to eat her previous bedding.

The warm side of the tank as an under the tank heat mat as well as a 75watt ceramic bulb. This keeps that side of the tank at 90-92 degrees. The cool side of the tank is 77-81 degrees. The entire tank drops about 4 degrees during the night.

Her humidity was at 50-60 (per the breeder's suggestion :/ ). Once I saw she was getting ready to shed I upped it to ~75 and she seems much happier. She also receives weekly soaks in warm water, and it was during her last one that she shed. In my hands, kind of a weird feeling. lol

As for her breathing, she breaths fine if I handle her, but if my husband handles her she starts to bubble and gurgle. If she were a mammal I would say it's a growl. The vet gave her a clean bill of health though.

Thanks for your help!

Old 09-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
kclack2727
I have an albino female bp that will only eat a sm-md rat live every 2-3 weeks sometimes a month. if you start to get worried try a fresh killed and put them together in a brown paper bag (with holes). There is a local pet store owner down here that does this method and gets any animal to feed within days of attempting. they usually feed first time you try it.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
kclack2727
and like I said watch the temps 90-92 is way to hot! I leave my bloods at 85

http://www.vpi.com/publications/bloo...ation_and_care

Temperatures: As a general starting point, blood pythons seem to do best if kept in the low-to-mid 80s degrees F. We keep most of our blood pythons at 80-82 degrees F in the day and 78-80 degrees F at night. Most of the time our blood pythons do not have a basking spot available to them. When we do provide a heated basking spot, it is 86-88 degrees F.

If recently fed, blood pythons should not be subjected to temperatures more than 90 degrees F or below 78 degrees F. When empty of food, blood pythons are tolerant of a wider range of temperatures. It does appear that this species is less tolerant of cool temperatures than most pythons; they do fine in the 70s, but we rarely expose them to temperatures below 75 degrees F.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
LunaLupus
Thank you very much!

She just finished her shed, and I altered the heat to cool the tank off a bit. We are also planning on waiting another week or so before we try to feed her again. Hopefully this will work.

Thanks again!

Old 09-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #8
LunaLupus
Here's my pretty girl the first day we got her.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #9
BMK.
I'd put her in a 15qt tud with a hide and water bowl on newspaper and keep temps 80-85 ...the 29 gal is way too big for a baby like yours...I feed my babies every 7-10 days....

Old 09-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
LunaLupus
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMK. View Post
I'd put her in a 15qt tud with a hide and water bowl on newspaper and keep temps 80-85 ...the 29 gal is way too big for a baby like yours...I feed my babies every 7-10 days....
Are there any specific signs that the snake is unhappy with their enclosure? My little girl regularly moves around her tank spending part of the day in each hide as well as checking out the water dish and every other nook and cranny.
Thanks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!