Need some eating help. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-04-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
threesmyluv
Question Need some eating help.

I bought a beardie who is suppose to be about 6 /8 months old who was only fed crickets. When I brought him/her home I bought a new uvb light, put rep-cal on his crickets for every feeding for the first week now down to every few days. He has perked up a lot now. I soak him at least 2 x week. His basking temp is from 90 to 110, he is in a 55 gal tank with play sand on one end and carpet on the feeding/ water side. He gets fed crickets in a separate 10 gal tank. I have introduced meal worms, mustard greens, collard greens, shredded carrots, and now wax worms. He is not real fond of the greens and carrots but will eat them if snatched up with a worm. Everything is fed on the carpet side of his tank except the crickets. The greens are left in most of the morning.
Since I have introduced the wax worms he is not wanting to eat much else. He has only eaten a few crickets since introducing the wax worms. I have tried withholding food till later in the day to give him more time to digest/warm up then offered crickets but he still will not eat more then 2 or 3. When I first brought him home he would eat about 15 to 20 a day usually in one feeding, then not eat the rest of the day.
If anyone has any suggestions on things to try I would greatly appreciate it. Any thing you may have tried to get them to eat different foods would help!!
I have tried withholding food till later in the day
Only offering crickets first
dropping the greens in, Food comes from above right ,lol
letting him walk around the couch for a few minutes then offering crickets/new food
I just want to try and get him to eat a wide variation of food.
Thank you for taking the time to help me out.
After reading alot I am pretty sure he is a girl, oops

Old 03-04-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
Reptileking636
hi stacey and welcome to fauna.
Its not surprising that your beardie only wants to eat the wax worms, but while a varied diet is good for the lizard, wax worms should only be offered as a treat every once in a while. The fat content in the wax worms make them ideal for putting bulk on the bearded or enticing it to eat, but like i said before, they should not be offered as a staple as they can cause the dragon to become obese which can lead to lots of problems down the road. To get her/him to eat his/her old diet again, i would reccomend just removing the worms from the diet for the time being and just rarely offer them as snacks.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
threesmyluv
Thanks for your reply!!
I wanted to fatten her up some as she seems small and under weight. That is why I introduced the wax worms. I do not plan on feeding them as her staple just wanted to give her a boost on her weight. I have not had much luck in getting her to eat greens and such, she only eats them if she picks a worm up with them. Do you have any suggestions on how to get her to try new foods?veggies and such? (Using crickets as her staple)
Thanks again!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!