Female behaving like a male? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-08-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
Robust_Beardies
Female behaving like a male?

We have a female, almost a year old and housed alone, that is acting very weird. She will furiously pace back and forth across the front of the glass in her tank, occasionally bonking her nose. Her beard and chest will go solid black and she will bob non stop for minutes on end occasionally throughout the day. She cannot see any other dragon or food item; we really do not know what she is getting angry about. Nothing about her environment or routine has changed. We are positive that she is a girl . . . but why is she acting like a boy??? We haven't seen a female act so masculine before!

Any suggestions would be very helpful, thanks!

Old 03-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
puppytoes72
maybe she sees her reflection in the glass?try putting backround on the two sides and the back.its funny because im almost 100% sure jojo is a girl but she black bearded for the first time a few days ago

Old 03-08-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
Charlie
Okay, so I havent dealt with beardeds very long but long enough to put a little insight in this matter. This was my first breeding season. I have one pair of bearded dragons and while they were together...both of them were black as night. I dont think the black beard and bobbing is mainly male behavior. I think it is more a dominance display and both males AND females do it. I do agree with the statement before...she prolly sees her reflection and is responding to that. I taped white paper towels around my cages except the front and have had no problems with "displaying" except with my adult/breeding animals.

my 2 cents....

Old 03-09-2007, 06:54 AM   #4
Robust_Beardies
We thought that her seeing her own refection was the issue as well, so we did just that. We taped paper towels on the outside of the cage and she still did it. So we thought she could still see herself somehow so we put the paper towels on the inside, and it still happened. We have only had a problem with males seeing their reflection in the glass, so they went into a glass free, wooden rack system we built. Out of all of our females, she is the only one to ever get mad at "nothing" per say, and why NOW?

We have experience in females rejecting males or possible cage mates by flattening out and/or bobbing/blackening of the beard, but not to themselves before. Guess she will have to join the males in the wooden system then . . .

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!