bad eye albino - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 07-25-2004, 12:59 AM   #1
dhserps
bad eye albino

i have questions im considering purchasing a couple albinos w ith a bad eye one to breed to hypo one to breed to another albino or anery how would this effect when i breed the offspring of the hypo bred to the albino back to get sunglows i read the post on here but i just had specific question since i was using the hypo to put new blood in the offspring

Old 07-25-2004, 04:49 AM   #2
Seamus Haley
Avaliable evidence at this point strongly suggests that eye deformities associated with albinism in Boa constrictor are genetic. The albinism itself is not the likely cause, but it's believed that a genetic eye deformity was introduced fairly early into the Khal strain and has since surfaced.

From a moral standpoint, albino boas which are expressing an eye deformity should not be bred. Their siblings should not be bred. Their parents should not be bred. All utilizing these animals in a project of any kind, even (especially) outcrossing them to create snows will do is spread and encourage the deformity, even if the offspring do not directly express it.

Old 07-25-2004, 07:15 AM   #3
The BoidSmith
I agree with Seamus. You might save a few $ initially by buying those animals at a discounted price, but this will only create problems for you in the future. You will never be able to know when the problem will surface in your animals (and it will). You will be seling offspring that will have the deffect (thus creating a bad name for yourself). You will also sell animals apparently normal but carrying the genetic deffect and thus perpetuating the problem. Let's put it this way, I would stay away from them even if they were free, even the the price you will pay is way too high.

Regards.

Old 07-25-2004, 11:31 AM   #4
dhserps
ok

yeah i believe i will stay away from them

Old 05-18-2005, 12:12 PM   #5
No1snotsucker
B.s.

Misinformation to the fullest. I was on the same boat until I spoke with Doug M. From the Boa Basement. The only albinos he deals with are sharp strain. He says that the eye deformites are tied up somewhere in the albino strain and pop up randomly. He has them in his sharp strain and any large albino boa breeder has them. Rich ihle whole sales his to bob clark to sweep them under the rug as if they don't exist. The one eyed thing isn't simple recessive and if you breed enough albinos of either line you will produce them. A few large breeders even have one eyed and no eyed boas as breeders.

Old 05-18-2005, 01:57 PM   #6
The BoidSmith
Morgan,

I'm going to assume what you just said was a joke. Even if it was Rich or Bob would probably not like it at all.

Thanks.

Old 05-18-2005, 05:09 PM   #7
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by No1snotsucker
Misinformation to the fullest. I was on the same boat until I spoke with Doug M. From the Boa Basement. The only albinos he deals with are sharp strain. He says that the eye deformites are tied up somewhere in the albino strain and pop up randomly. He has them in his sharp strain and any large albino boa breeder has them. Rich ihle whole sales his to bob clark to sweep them under the rug as if they don't exist. The one eyed thing isn't simple recessive and if you breed enough albinos of either line you will produce them. A few large breeders even have one eyed and no eyed boas as breeders.
I'm confused about what boat you WERE on and which one you are on now. Are you saying that you were on the boat with Seamus, but now that you say all the big breeders do it so it's okay, or what. Please clarify.

Old 05-18-2005, 05:24 PM   #8
The BoidSmith
I'm with John on this one. On the other hand if eye abnormalities pop-up in albinos almost 99% of the time, there goes your randomness theory. It's hard to believe Doug Matuzak told you that. On the other hand it's even harder to believe that Bob Clark would be looking forward to receive albino boas with deffective eyes. Your blanket statement:

Quote:
A few large breeders even have one eyed and no eyed boas as breeders.
is offensive at best, and should be claryfied if you have verifiable information of what you are saying.

Thanks.

Old 05-19-2005, 10:43 AM   #9
paulh
I'd like to see what the available genetic data is for these eye abnormalities. As yet, I've seen none of it. For what it's worth, I've seen eye abnomalities in a litter of wild-bred timber rattlesnakes. Small and missing eyes have turned up in a variety of captive bred reptiles, not just boa constrictors.

Feeding trials with a variety of domestic animals (trout, pigs, chickens, others) have shown that borderline vitamin deficiencies in the parents produce a variety of congenital defects in the offsprings' skeleton, skin, nervous system, etc. Vitamin A deficiency in pigs can cause missing eyes. (See Lee Russell McDowell's Vitamins in Animal Nutrition.)

I wish someone would raise a pair of albino boa constrictors with one or both eyes missing on a low fat, vitamin fortified diet and then breed them. The result might help give us a handle as to whether the problem is genetic or environmental.

Old 05-19-2005, 12:35 PM   #10
No1snotsucker
I'm sorry if I ruffled anyones feathers. I'll try to answer some questions of yours. I orginally like any normal person was totally freaked by one eyed albinos and wanted to get as outcrossed blood as possible from those. For Dan I'm not saying it's cool to breed one eyes and no eyes, but I'm not lynching anyone for doing it either. I did speak with Doug on the phone becuase I'm getting some boas from him here in a couple of weeks. Matter of fact I'm paying for them today. Anyways, we got on the one eyed albino subject and he told me those things. Now I was blown away at first but you have to take into account this guy has been around for a long time and is one of the top producers of boas in the world. I would also be willing to bet he produces more sharp strains than anyone, but I'm not 100% on that. Just to go over it again I was trying to say the eye deformites are somehow intertwined in the albino genes. I'm not talking about normals.

Try not to get to angry now, but if you have a huge problem with this info buy a snake from doug and shot the breeze with him about it. He's a really cool guy. Or just ignore the thread like it never happened.

Regaurdless have a good day.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!