Whats a good roach to breed - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 11-01-2004, 01:58 PM   #1
mkrherps
Whats a good roach to breed

Im looking to breed roaches. But i want a roach that doesnt need light or heat. well just room temp but no other heat. and that can be housed in a 10 gal or 20 gal tank. also that breeds fast. Thank you for looking and hopefully helping me out.
Also i had hissers but thay all died. i dont know why. i had a light on them. and plenty of room . i had 10 on a 10 gal tank. they looked like they where trying to push something out but then all of a sudden they flipped on there backs and just stayed there then died. what happend?

Old 11-01-2004, 04:28 PM   #2
ShannanD25
Roaches

If you don't mind climbers and can put a strip of vaseline around your tank, you should try Lobster Roaches. They breed like crazy and require minimal care.
I also have hissers and they do that sometimes. Kinda flop around like they are dizzy, then flip over, curl up, and die.

Good luck

I also breed Blaptica Dubia roaches- Orange headed or spotted- forget the common name. They do not climb but their breeding is slower and they require higher heat to reproduce faster.

Old 11-01-2004, 06:54 PM   #3
L. E. Rothstein
Roach for 10 gal tank at room temperature

Dear Mr. Meyer:

I breed roaches (Panchlora nivea) at regular room temperature...they are not totally tropical. Mine live (and
breed quite happily)in "critter keepers" no bigger than 10
gallon tanks. I do this by layering moist potting soil
for the burrowing babies with layered cardboard shelters
for the adults above...and a tightly woven cloth cover under
the "critter keeper" cover because they do escape unless
care is exercised to prevent their doing so...If you decide
to use 10-gallon tanks you will need to select VERY tight
lids for your tanks...but they will work just fine.

Yours very truly,
L. E. Rothstein

P. S. Some of these appear under "My spare feederbugs"
in the Insects and Arachnids For Sale/Wanted Ads forum.
P. P. S. Many native roaches will also tolerate a cool room.
And so will exotics from montane environments.

Happy hunting!

Old 11-01-2004, 07:31 PM   #4
progeckos
Well the fastest producing roaches are the lobsters. They can breed quite well even at room temps but they are able to climb like Shannan said. Other good species are:
Orange head (Eublaberus prosticus)
Orange spot (Blaptica dubia)
Discoid (Blaberus discoidales)
Six spot (Eublaberus distanti)
Death head (Blaberus craniifer)

All of these are non-climbers but don’t breed very fast at room temps. They like hot at around 90 degrees.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!