Benavides woman gives birth after being bit by snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
Clay Davenport
Benavides woman gives birth after being bit by snake

Until reading this story I had never really contemplated the possible problems associated with a pregnant woman being envenomated. Thankfully the baby was perfectly fine but I have to wonder what might the effect have been if she weren't full term and the baby couldn't have been taken by C-section?
I wonder what the side effects of envenomation and antivenin to an unborn child would be?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

BENAVIDES - A new mother is recovering after she was bitten by a rattlesnake Sunday night. Melly Guerra is a high school coach in Benavides and was just days away from giving birth when she had the scare of her life.

"She knew immediately she had been bitten by a snake, and she ended up, I guess, the adrenaline took over at that time, and ran to her home to her husband. My dad went outside and found the snake. It was a small rattlesnake, and it was coiled up, ready to get the next person that came by," said Melly's sister Norma Escudero.

Shocked and terrified, Guerra was air-lifted to Corpus Christi. At the hospital she delivered a healthy bundle of joy by emergency c-section. Jenna Renee Guerra was 6 lbs., 12 oz. While the snake's poison didn't hurt the baby, mom's not out of the woods yet.

"We just wanted to let everyone know, who's been praying for her, that the baby is doing fine. My sister, Melly, is still ill. She's in intensive care. They're treating her for the snake bite." Once the anti-venom medication takes effect, Guerra and her husband J.R. will be back home caring for their new pride and joy.

The family said they have often spotted rattlesnakes in the Benavides area, but no one has ever been bitten. As for the snake, Guerra's 73-year-old father found it and killed it with a shovel.

http://www.kristv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4781528

Old 04-20-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
Rattlesnake
As for the snake, Guerra's 73-year-old father found it and killed it with a shovel.

And the idiots march on.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:46 AM   #3
INSANE CANES
Sorry to hear about the snake.

But glad mom and baby are doing good.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!