NatGeo Rescued Reptiles Article - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:33 PM   #1
Martin Nowak
NatGeo Rescued Reptiles Article

National Geographic August 2023

An interesting narrative in this month's National Geographic magazine.
Cell phone pics of the pertinent reptile portions included. I thought reptile keepers, especially the boid fans would find the pic and narrative of Burmese python most interesting. Note it appears there is at least one other snake in with the Burmese python. Comments from readers ?
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2023, 09:03 PM   #2
Socratic Monologue
"It died two months into its rehabilitation"

I realize the quote isn't about the pictured snake, but cohabbing (with a crotalid maybe? head shape is suggestive, but there are certainly snakes in that part of the world that very few of us hobby keepers would recognize) on dry sand, I'm surprised a burm would live that long.

Related case here in Wisconsin a few years ago: 52 ball pythons seized for violation of a local snake ban: https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...ty/4313162001/

Wisconsin Humane Society (who took possession of the snakes) said:

“Pythons, rats and mice need really specialized habitats in order to be well cared for, things like aquariums and heat lamps,” Speed said. “Our staff is really focused on upgrading their habitats from plastic Rubbermaid containers to aquariums and proper housing.”

I sent that nitwit a pretty diplomatic email explaining things, but didn't get a response. I don't suppose she really cares about proper snake care.

Old 07-25-2023, 09:19 PM   #3
Martin Nowak
I should have noted the "rehab sanctuary" is in the country of Jordan.
Examining the Burmese pic and its rapid decline to death --- I was thinking IBD.
And what appears to be other snake(s) in the same cage ... further infections by IBD ?

I also wondered about releasing the large number of Greek Tortoises back into the wild. Recognizing there are pro and con positions on releasing animals - I suspect the tortoises were not well kept, were in crowded conditions, and unknown microbial loads .... best to release them into the wild ?

Old 07-25-2023, 09:23 PM   #4
Socratic Monologue
Good points -- I didn't even clue in to the possible stargazing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!