Question from newbie breeder? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
phoenix-cry
Question from newbie breeder?

Quick question from a beginner breeder...

So I have read everything I can on breeding ball pythons, and I get the idea on how it's done when starting the cooling cycle in December.

However:

I just got a breeding sized pair of ball pythons, but I'm unsure if the guy did the whole 'cooling cycle'. Should I just placing them together with normal temps, or should I try to get a late start and do a cooling cycle?

Also if I'm only pairing my male to one gal can I just leave them together or will they only lock if they are only together for a few days, apart a few days, and then back together again.

The seller did show me three pictures of recent locks with these two.

Anyway, any help would be great.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
The Python Lab
I have never cooled and my snakes breed just fine. I wouldn't recommend keeping them together 24/7 as you will want to keep the male feeding. As soon as you witness a lock take him out for a few days and try to keep him feeding through breeding season.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
GreenCountryHerp
I always cool them for about 3 or 4 months, but I have heard of people not cooling at all and having no problems(Just like Dorsey does). You should be alright not cooling but it doesn't hurt either.

If you see a good lock, I would give them a break for about 4-5 days. That is how I do it.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
phoenix-cry
Ah, I thought that cooling was an important piece! Good point about the feeding, I was going to separate for feeding, but I guess I wasn't counting that part. Thanks!

Wish me luck then!

Old 03-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
phoenix-cry
I'll keep my eye out for the lock and give them a rest!

Old 03-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
KY Reptiles
I actually only cool them for a month before I start any pairings. I usually will do a 3 days on and 4 days off thing and offer food when they are away from the female. Its worked for me so far.

Here is a good website for you to use as a reference.

http://www.ballpython.ca/gallery/breeding.html

Old 03-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
phoenix-cry
That's a great site! Thanks!

Old 03-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #8
KY Reptiles
No problem! Glad to help, I've given the site to plenty of others that have started out as well. As a matter of fact when I started breeding balls I used this site as a guide.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #9
rcpreis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by edenspets View Post
I have never cooled and my snakes breed just fine. I wouldn't recommend keeping them together 24/7 as you will want to keep the male feeding. As soon as you witness a lock take him out for a few days and try to keep him feeding through breeding season.
Well let the man finish before u rip them apart, lol. But yea I never cooled and had snakes locking up as early as November.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #10
phoenix-cry
I have learned from my man that he always wants to finish... giggle.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!