Hahaha who else thinks so??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #1
mialma09
Hahaha who else thinks so???

Ok im no expert on breeding crested geckos but I do own a few. I just gotta know am I the only member who thinks that female 100% pinstripe crested going for $600 is absolutely insane and rediculous or am I like wrong cause if I am wrong I would love to learn something today lol.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:26 AM   #2
Shadera
People can ask whatever price they want for their animals. They may or may not get it.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
mialma09
well i guess so huh... just personal opinion

Old 07-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
rcarichter
Depends on the gecko and the buyer. If you see something you really want, and have $600 to spend on it, why not? If you're buying it to breed and sell the offspring, that's a different story. Like anything, there are many levels of 100% pinstripe. I've been breeding cresteds for several years, and I have paid that much one time. She was well worth it, and I have made my money back a couple times over. (She wasn't, by the way, a pinstripe). Crested genetics are really hit-and-miss, no guarantees on what the offspring will look like. You just kinda get a feel for it and go with your hunches.

Also, well known breeders with good reputations can usually get higher prices. There's a lot to be said for healthy animals and great customer service.

Short answer: most cresteds are not worth $600.

Noelle

Old 08-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
312Herps
I've come to find when people complain about prices of almost anything , it's because they want it and can't afford it . I've paid easily over $600 for a crested and know of people paying 1,200, 1,400 i've even offered 2k for a specific gecko that was what i was looking for. See the way i look at it for my breeders is , i could purchase a 3 gram crested that looks insane , but the two major things i think about is , will this gecko work into my breeding program if it goes either way female or male and secondly how much time do i save purchasing an adult gecko over buying a hatchling and having to raise it up. Another thing to think about with crested geckos is even though there are some breeders producing just to produce and don't really care to progress their breeding projects, there are quite a few breeders that are looking to refine their productions and not just produce mass quantities of unwanted geckos.Which in turn would raise the bar on quality of geckos so, i wouldn't be surprised if $600 starts to become a higher end average cost rather than 20 geckos for $500.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
mialma09
Well Thanx a lot my wife really likes em and wants to breed the couple geckos we have but u learn something new every day and I never knew they could be worth that much.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
rcarichter
Wait, we didn't quite mean it that way. For every gecko that fetches $600, there are hundreds that must be given away, sometimes literally. Even my star breeder, mentioned above, has produced far more $50 babies than those that sell for much more. I don't want to discourage you, it's a really great hobby. But please don't jump in thinking you'll be selling $600 offspring.

Noelle

Old 08-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
312Herps
Thanks Christine , Christopher before you strat breeding , you might want to take a delve into a forum called Pangea and see what precautionary measures you would like to take and situations you want to be ready for. If you invest 500-800 on a pair you MAY produce some geckos that are worth $600 in your opinion or in even someone els's opinion , but certainly not in everyone's opinion.Most chances are you'll probably end up with 1-2 geckos out of each breeding which may produce anywhere from 1-26 babies that you would consider top notch geckos out of that pairing , but as Noelle stated , you will probably end up with about 95% of a clutch of geckos that won't be worth more than $50-$80.Now two huge common factors to worry about when you breed them is incase the male gets what is called a prolapsed hemipene which is a mother@#$%, and quite a few people have been encountered with (including myself) are you ready to dish out $125-$200 (and that's on the low end) to have it reinserted at the vet (which almost never works) and they could throw a couple sutures on it and hope he doesnt break through it(which he probably will) because you will have to go back to the vet for another round of about $200 and the second time just have it removed or you could just have it removed the first time. Secondly a female that is eggbound , which also has happend to many people and unfortunately i've known a few local breeders that have had females expire due to this condition.which can also run you for vet visits and surgery if need be anywhere from 200-800 dollars.So my advice to you is do some reaserch before you decide to pair them a bit of research never hurt anyone.Either way good luck.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
mialma09
Yeah I have done a lot of snooping around and researching and learning a lot from breeders and what not from the reptile shows me and my wife attend. But as far as like high end crested geckos I think I'll be ok there. Not gonna be dropping anywhere near that. We only have 3 geckos right now that are under 5 months old that we wanna raise and maybe aquire a couple more during it and breed them just for the pleasure of having them and accomplishing breeding these animals in general. I figured I would just sell the babies for around 40 bucks or so and the prettier ones a little more, nothing expensive. But if I do ever come down that road with the vet stuff I am not gonna let it suffer I would get it fixed I just wouldnt ever breed that one again but thanx for the advice on like cost. Luckily I have a exotic reptile vet nearby home that is relatively cheap and I get military dicounts on everything so it's nice.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
mialma09
I barely paid 80 bucks for all three of the geckos I own. Unfortunately the one I paid the most for $40 from LLL reptile was a very little baby but has a slight congenital MBD that developed over the weeks I owned it and it wasnt noticable until a little while after I bought it. But still hops and walks and eats CGD and cricks better than the other two. Its a very slight hump in its back right by the tail but is noticable. Hopefully it pulls thru well, me and my wife take great care of them she really likes em and feels sad for it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!