ASF Rack - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:34 AM   #1
TripleMoonsExotic
Question ASF Rack

So I've been rolling around the idea of building a rack for my ASF's to fit into an empty closet in the reptile room (door's already removed, so they won't be in a closed closet) and had a brilliant (I think) idea...

My husband built me 32qt wooden racks several years ago for my snakes and I've since switched to plastic. So I've had these two racks sittin' around forever, empty. One I stained the other is still raw wood (I actually ended up not liking the shade of stain I used on the other rack, so I'm probably just going to get rid of it). So I was looking at them and I think it should be relatively easy for me to convert the unstained one into an ASF rack. I found 16" x 12" x 4" kitty litter pans online for $3.29 a piece which would allow me to put 12 bins in the rack. The racks are built with roughly a 6.5" height between shelves which will allow a 2.5" air space between a screen top and the wooden shelf supporting the bins. Is this enough space for air flow? Is 16" x 12" x 4" enough space for trios or quads of ASF's?

Speaking of the ASF's, do they generally drink fine from water bottles? Mine are currently in lab cages and it doesn't seem like they drink (I've only had them since Friday). I've seen the weanlings go to the water bottle and look like they're drinking...But I haven't refilled the bottles since I've gotten them (the mice I had before I was refilling water bottles every other day). Also the automatic water systems, instead of the metal pin nozzles, do they make another type of nozzle? Metal ball ones maybe? I've tried to use water bottles with that pin with my rabbits and they refused to drink from them and I returned them to the store...I'd hate to setup the pin nozzles in the rack and have them refuse to use them.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
RJK890
Thanks Clay

Hey Steph,
12 litter pans at $3.29 each is $40, plus shipping charges as well? Then you still have all the work of converting that rack.
If you go to Clay's homepage you can print out excellent plans for the six (mortar mixing) tub rack. It is very easy to build and only cost me around $60 per rack. I don't use the water system though, I just drill a small hole in the (plastic)lid of a mayonnaise jar.

http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/rat_rack/ratrack.shtml

Old 02-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
BryonsBoas
My ASF don't seem to drink much either. I've used the vari-flow valves and water bottles on them. They use either with no probs at all.

I'm moving my ASF to mortar tub racks. They seem to like the extra space and have been breeding better for me in the mortar tubs than they were in the litter pans.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
TripleMoonsExotic
I'm well aware of Clay's rodent rack plans.

I want to recycle what I have. Converting it won't be that big of a deal, I just need the framed out screen "lids" and the tubs. I already have supplies for the conversion because I have left over from when my husband built my massive rabbit cage.

Bryon, what size groups were you keeping yours in with the litter pans (and what size litter pans)?

Old 02-28-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
suzuki4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
I'm well aware of Clay's rodent rack plans.

I want to recycle what I have. Converting it won't be that big of a deal, I just need the framed out screen "lids" and the tubs. I already have supplies for the conversion because I have left over from when my husband built my massive rabbit cage.

Bryon, what size groups were you keeping yours in with the litter pans (and what size litter pans)?

btw, I left you a message. Ya got any female ASF's ya wanna swap me? (1 or 2)

Old 02-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
TripleMoonsExotic
Hi Gary!
Yeah, Chris said "Gary - Rats" showed up on my cell phone. Just got up and starting my day...Going through e-mails and then phone messages. And no, right now I don't have any ASF's available.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:24 PM   #7
TripleMoonsExotic
The alternative size I can get for tubs is 18 3/8" x 14 7/8" x 5", but then I can only fit 6 tubs in the rack...But maybe keep larger groups?

Old 02-28-2008, 11:48 PM   #8
BryonsBoas
I was running 1.2 - 1.3 in the larger litter pans. I put a 1.4 group in a mortar tub as a try out kind of thing and I'm having better success with it.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:58 PM   #9
TripleMoonsExotic
I checked out the mortar tubs at home depot & lowes today and they're too big. I have one more stop to make tomorrow morning to check litter pan options (PetCo was a dud and Tractor Supply had some, just not too sure if they're the size I want).

Old 03-01-2008, 09:59 PM   #10
THEREALMIKEMOORE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryonsBoas
My ASF don't seem to drink much either. I've used the vari-flow valves and water bottles on them. They use either with no probs at all.

I'm moving my ASF to mortar tub racks. They seem to like the extra space and have been breeding better for me in the mortar tubs than they were in the litter pans.
I also keep my asf rats in mortar tubs and they do breed alot better in them than smaller tubs. I keep 1.5 in each tub

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!