ASF Rack - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:39 AM   #21
The BoidSmith
I've been looking for aluminum galvanized tubs with no luck. Years ago they were around and very now and then I've see them for sale (used of course) on KS. Ca anyone think of any metal box (maybe one of those for fuses or soemthing) used for any other purpose that could be bought and adapted with a wire mesh lid? Maybe I should go for a walk to Menards and see if there's something available.

Thanks

Old 03-03-2008, 08:44 AM   #22
The BoidSmith
One other thing is that the little devils have good memory. The ones that found a way out are usually those that will give me trouble over and over. There are breeding groups that never chew on their cage but eventually there's one that does. From then on it's a matter of time for them to find their way out again.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:33 AM   #23
suzuki4life
I thnk a large glass casserole dish might work About the size of a liter pan, just not as high.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:44 AM   #24
TripleMoonsExotic
That would be one biiiiiiiig casserole dish! Do they even make them 6" deep?

Here's what I've spent 2 hours doing this morning (15 minutes of which was spent trying to figure out how to unlock the saw thingy). I think I'm on the right track. That top isn't on or anything, I just set it up so I can visualize better.

Gebhart (my buddy) said that he'll help me make molds and bins out of fiberglass based on this litter box size.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2008, 09:22 PM   #25
THEREALMIKEMOORE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
That would be one biiiiiiiig casserole dish! Do they even make them 6" deep?

Here's what I've spent 2 hours doing this morning (15 minutes of which was spent trying to figure out how to unlock the saw thingy). I think I'm on the right track. That top isn't on or anything, I just set it up so I can visualize better.

Gebhart (my buddy) said that he'll help me make molds and bins out of fiberglass based on this litter box size.
Looks good to me

Old 03-04-2008, 01:27 AM   #26
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
I've been looking for aluminum galvanized tubs with no luck. Years ago they were around and very now and then I've see them for sale (used of course) on KS. Ca anyone think of any metal box (maybe one of those for fuses or soemthing) used for any other purpose that could be bought and adapted with a wire mesh lid? Maybe I should go for a walk to Menards and see if there's something available.

Thanks
Hmmmm......we have a bunch of industrial storage supply-type catalogs here at work, I'll have to do some checking.

New mission for the night.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:46 PM   #27
suzuki4life
steph, if your friend has a chopper gun, fiberglass is easy to work with.

to make the mold:

use turtle wax and generously wax the inside of your tub.

Then you will mix and brush on a nice even layer of resin/gel coat.

If you have a chopper gun, you would then spray fiberglass over the gel coat.

Then dab resin till the shredded glass looks wet

repeat the chopper gun resin steps until it look stick enough for your likings (atleast 3 times, 6 would be great for a mold)

Let it dry.

next day you will pop your plug.

pop the plug from your tub and trim a clean edge

I would use plywood to make a base/flange

T make actual parts:

this time you want to wax the mold twice as much

lay the resin on thick, and then the first layer of glass. Smoother the resin, the smoother your inside of the tub will be. Spraying it on would be ideal. Then repeat like you did for the mold until you reach the desired thickness.

so an idea on how to fiberglass

go to youtube and type in "how to fiberglass"

there are actually very good videos there on how to.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #28
TripleMoonsExotic
Arrow

All done one side!

Gary, thanks for the info. I'll go on YouTube and see what vids there are. Sounds like a messy job.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #29
suzuki4life
looks really good!!!

Old 03-19-2008, 12:44 PM   #30
smilin-buddha
Funny I have had them in tubs for several months no escapes or chewing. I do give them tp rolls to chew on .

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!