Keeping crickets - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:53 AM   #21
j walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND View Post
Good grief. Sorry but no, no, no. If you spray them like shown in the video you will have dead crickets. The reason they "booked" to the paper is they were just sprayed and they were trying to get out of the rain and there wasn't anywhere else for them to go. There was no where for them to hide in the tank except on and behind the wet paper. Put a piece of egg crate in an empty tank and what happens? Right, they will climb on it but the majority will be hiding under it. Lucille and others feel free to try the way in the video but be prepared to need more crickets.
yes if you spray them like that in a bare cage you will have dead crickets but the soil does not give the water a chance to collect , i prefer not to keep crickets but when i do i follow the methods in that and his other video to the letter , i used to keep crickets and i tried several different methods they always died until i started usuing that method , the system works

Old 09-25-2009, 09:39 AM   #22
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille View Post
Why is it crickets are so stinky? Roaches and mealies aren't.
Wet crickets tend to smell. Death tends to smell. Dead wet crickets tend to smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j walker View Post
yes if you spray them like that in a bare cage you will have dead crickets but the soil does not give the water a chance to collect , i prefer not to keep crickets but when i do i follow the methods in that and his other video to the letter , i used to keep crickets and i tried several different methods they always died until i started usuing that method , the system works
I have bred and raised crickets from pinheads to adults. I also have been distributing for a cricket company for a few years. Chances are I have dealt with more crickets then the next ten people collectively will ever use. Forward that video to any cricket company and I bet you will not find one that would recommend it's method.

I have had customers ask me "how do I keep my crickets alive?" and I have explained to them how, as I did above and the feedback I have received from them has always been positive. Hell, I have lost money in doing so since they now are able to keep their crickets alive and are not having to purchase them as often.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:48 AM   #23
angie.h
Wet crickets=dead crickets...as Dave said.The ones in the video are surviving b/c of the heat lamp...this is allowing them to dry out.It can probably work for a small amount of crickets as long as the heat lamp is there,and not on a bare floor of a plastic bin or aquarium.Heat lamp can also revive sluggish crix that come in the winter half-frozen.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:45 AM   #24
mharris281
I buy from http://www.millbrookcrickets.com/ they run about $13.00 for 500 and FREE 2 day shipping best price I have found. just for FYI

Old 09-25-2009, 07:36 PM   #25
Lucille
Yeah, but you can get the best price in the world (with their special, my crickets cost half of what you paid, when I got them from New York Worms) but if you can't keep them chirping, it's wasted money.

The crickets arrived to day, bad news and good news. Bad news is that about a thousand fire ants crawled throught the screen and were there in the package at my door. (I shook most of them out). Good news is that the vast majority are still hopping and chirping, and that the suggestions here for getting a cricket container were perfect, none so far have hopped out.

I may just see if they can be delivered to the Fedex place about five miles away and I could pick them up there maybe. These Texas fire ants are something else.

Many thanks to all, for all the great suggestions and advice. Of course, now I am forced to consider buying more Ts since I have lots of crickets

Old 09-26-2009, 04:15 PM   #26
SSmith
Some good tips here gonna have to try a few of them myself

Old 09-28-2009, 02:07 AM   #27
offroad537
crikets

adults only live about two weeks at the most. buy medium crickets and feed them cricket food and water. its really not that hard.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:15 AM   #28
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad537 View Post
adults only live about two weeks at the most. buy medium crickets and feed them cricket food and water. its really not that hard.
And here I have been making it so difficult. Thanks for making this so simple.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #29
Lucille
Thank you everyone for your advice. My crickets are still going strong.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #30
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille View Post
Thank you everyone for your advice. My crickets are still going strong.
Good to hear!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!