More bad publicity!!! - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #21
TailsWithScales
I'm sure lack of education is the biggest part. Then you have a very minute amount of folks who associate them with being of the devil. But in ALL my years I've heard the same excuse for not liking snakes.

"They look slimy"

Yep. That's right. That's the excuse I've heard most of the time when it comes to someone not liking snakes. I've heard it more then any other excuse. Yes that could be part of the 'lack of education' part. But I have met folks who literally based on the look, and to them they look slimy are completely unwilling to hear anything further. It's really sad how completely closed minded some people can be.

It angers me to read news reports about pythons and how untruthful they are 95% of the time.

Please don't flame me but I do feel like we're (the herpers) are fighting a losing battle. In the grand scheme if feels like we are the few standing against a nation of snake haters. And with the mounting press releases against the snakes it's not getting better and each time makes things worse.

BUT! I will fight to the bitter end!! NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER SURRENDER!

Old 01-17-2010, 11:34 PM   #22
ForkedTung
Well at least are a few cultures that worship snakes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_worship

Old 01-18-2010, 01:30 AM   #23
ShiffyAME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkedTung View Post
very interesting!

Old 01-18-2010, 02:43 AM   #24
Critter Mom
Quote:
Cool! Thanks for sharing!

Unfortunately there probably will always be some people who think those people are going where they fear to tread, because they touched a snake... and they liked it!

Old 01-18-2010, 02:48 AM   #25
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap View Post
It is not a "jump to conclusion" situation. It is official government policy. Truth and facts be damned.
Disgusting eh? ..... Oi.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #26
mudmantim
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsdad View Post
Satan actually took the form of a serpent. Theologians debate that it was a dragon. Whatever form he took had LEGS. As after the fall, came the decree that he would crawl on his belly, etc.

I am a Christian and have kept snakes most of my life. Most of the fear of snakes is ignorance. Education is our job.

I do hate roaches though... Only thing I hate more would be ticks.
In the Hebrew Bible, it isn't Satan at all that took the form of the serpent, it was Lilith, Adam's first wife.

Lilith was set away never to be heard from again because she found out too much knowledge and then came back in the form of the serpent to give all her knowledge to Eve.

At least this is what some theologians are debating.

-Tim

Old 01-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #27
reptileclan
Ayup, Lilith the shape shifter, my own Goddess within. However analogies that are taken literally are damaging to a society in general, but that's just my opinion, which is only worth what anyone else's opinion is worth, nada (except to me of course, lol).

Old 01-18-2010, 11:17 PM   #28
JonnyMcSavage
Quote:
I did a presentation at my college last year on this topic. Brought in my Burmese Python with the permission of the college and had over 1500 people by my table. I had lots of uneducated questions and a group of jerks asked if they could buy my burm and turn him into shoes! In the end, it was worth it because I have been asked several more times to do presentations to help educate the students and staff about snakes.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #29
squishme
Every one keeps screaming they were released. Please look at the big pic. I know two friends that had good breeder set ups in FL and along came a hurrcaine. and ravaged their places. Blowing their breeders and babies every where. Blame it where it needs to go. It is the storms that did all the releasing.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:58 PM   #30
lillith665
Actually, I'm right here.

Have a coupla other names, Tiamat, Ummu-Hubur, Meretseger/Renenutet, etc.

Been very misunderstood since the dawn of time. Remember, history was written by the winners, folks. The other side never gets to tell their story.

BTW, this is seriously off-topic by now, isn't it?

Love yous guys!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!