Live vs Frozen POLL - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

View Poll Results: Live vs Frozen Poll
I feed live only! 12 13.19%
I feed Frozen only! 35 38.46%
I feed both and see a need for both Methods! 44 48.35%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2010, 03:40 AM   #11
tinmantribe5
Neck & neck! on frozen and using both live and frozen!

Old 05-05-2010, 03:53 AM   #12
hhmoore
It isn't a moral or ethical issue for me, it's one of convenience. I don't like breeding rodents, and I don't have a reliable source for live. I feed f/t. If something refuses to eat f/t, despite my best efforts, it will be going to live someplace else...unless it is one special critter.
That said, I don't much care if a snake is picky about what f/t prey items it will take...once I figure out what it is that they'll eat, I'm generally able to provide it.

I do start a small breeding group in the spring for getting babies going, though I usually only have to resort to live with BPs and some dumerils boas.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #13
Metachrosis
+1
Primary reason I got away from BP's years ago,they are worse then spoiled cats IMO.
I never feed completely "alive",I stun them and the twitching and flailing generally draws the response.

Transitions to F/T is much easier if the temp is correct before presentation,what is the correct temp for a prey item ?
3-4 degrees warmer then the animal being offered is my guide.

If the animal being fed is at 83-85*,prey is at least 88-90*.
Ground level animation is much less intimidating then the "hovering menace from above" most attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
It isn't a moral or ethical issue for me, it's one of convenience. I don't like breeding rodents, and I don't have a reliable source for live. I feed f/t. If something refuses to eat f/t, despite my best efforts, it will be going to live someplace else...unless it is one special critter.
That said, I don't much care if a snake is picky about what f/t prey items it will take...once I figure out what it is that they'll eat, I'm generally able to provide it.

I do start a small breeding group in the spring for getting babies going, though I usually only have to resort to live with BPs and some dumerils boas.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #14
Clay Davenport
I voted for both, but I actually use frozen very little. There wasn't an option for fresh killed, but I figure that equates to frozen for the purposes of the poll.
Most of the balls get live because they feed better that way. Everything else, along with the best feeding balls, gets fresh killed, partially to avoid any accidents, but mainly so I can feed and leave and not worry about a live rat in the cage.
Since I raise my own feeders it's become more of a hassle to thaw rats when I have them ready and warm in the rat building.
The species I have that takes pinkies as hatchlings gets thawed, but it only takes two minutes to thaw a batch of pinks.

As far as I'm concerned neither method is "better" than the other, it's a matter of what the snake responds to best and the preference of the keeper.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #15
brd7666
Here is some interesting information that suits this thread well. Just follow the link. It may be the authors opinion but you might like it.

http://www.vmsherp.com/LCLivevsFrozen.htm

Old 05-07-2010, 02:22 AM   #16
tinmantribe5
Bump sorry couldnt resist lets keep a Vote in!

Old 05-07-2010, 04:24 AM   #17
Payara
I have always fed my 2 snakes FT but that doesn't mean I wouldn't feed them live if need be. Live is less convenient for me, I don't have feeding stock because of my small collection and buying live is a lot more expensive than order FT for me. My major fear of feeding them live, especially with the milksnake who's not an aggressive feeder, is that that mouse would turn on him and hurt him.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:30 AM   #18
Payara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis View Post
I never feed completely "alive",I stun them and the twitching and flailing generally draws the response.
Just curious how do you stun them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brd7666 View Post
Here is some interesting information that suits this thread well. Just follow the link. It may be the authors opinion but you might like it.

http://www.vmsherp.com/LCLivevsFrozen.htm
This article is very complaining and makes a very good case for live/freshly killed.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:36 AM   #19
tinmantribe5
Hello my name is mr Mouse and would like to say although being choked till I pee does hurt a lil but have you ever tried to peel your frozen body off that of a Stranger "geez how da grading"

Old 05-07-2010, 04:37 AM   #20
Shadera
My boas get frozen thawed only, my balls that will eat FT get FT, and everyone else gets prekilled. Like Clay, I raise my own rodents and like that convenience but don't want to leave a live rat in the tubs. Just makes me too nervous. The only live feeding is usually when getting babies going, and it's something small like hoppers or crawlers.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!