Mice eating their babies?? - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #51
joseydiann
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND View Post
Hit a place like tractor supply and pick up a have a heart trap and use some peanut butter. Put it along the baseboard where you have noticed previous activity and that'll be the best way to catch the evil one.
Yeah we were told to check at the tractor supply store, we asked at walmart and they don't carry rat traps, crazy huh?!

And my mom says to def. use peanut butter.

Amanda

Old 05-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #52
joseydiann
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus View Post
Haha Amanda (I still like the name Josey better),

I had the same problem (I live on an acre+ of land) big field rats were getting in and they were robbing me blind. I was running out of rat food so fast! They were carting it off and hiding it other places...sigh. They weren't killing my colonies (although I did worry about diseases), because they can't get though the tubs I showed you up in my previous post and they can't chew though the wire on the rat racks. Screen netting is not any kind of help you need a fence grade netting.

After trapping a few and even pulling one down from the rafters by the tail, and getting an exterminator (waste of money..the rats got smart)..I found the point of entry and put up some fence grade netting over it screwed the sucker down and and put plumber foam on the edges and inside the foam I have rat poison. I haven't had a problem with rats since.

But I do have some blocks/wheels of rat poison scattered thoughout the basement that have peanut butter in the centers (don't want them to just lick it off).
Hey Deborah

Did you see the Video?

Yeah Josey is just a nickname it's the first username I used when I first started using a pc many many years ago and before I knew it family and friends started calling me Josey lol so it just kinda stuck I guess. And for Diann on the end it is my real middle name.

Humm all we have near by is a cow farm with alot of cows, horses, donkeys, ect.. no pigs though lol. And we are up in the mountains so it's not street or sewer rats.

It's pretty thick wire we are using for screen, we've never had any get out of it, just him about to get through it.
My bro is here now, he brought a big rat trap, so Imma set it asap.

We can't put out poison, we have ferrets, cats, inside dog (eats everything in site, nasty dog) a tegu that runs the house (used to anyway) ect.. so I'm afraid the rat would pack it off and hide it places for my pets to find..

It's not even bothering me that he is eating the food around here, it;s that he is murdering my tame rats.

I'm still highly upset that I had to put down 12 of mine because he ripped them up so bad.

Amanda

Old 05-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #53
joseydiann
And yes another reason is I don't want him dieing in the walls somewhere that will stink..

Amanda

Old 05-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #54
tinmantribe5
Next time you see him throw a 5 gallon bucket over him slide a piece of card board under the bottom and pick up and flip it around and take him outside and kill him!

Old 05-17-2010, 05:25 PM   #55
tinmantribe5
Thats how we catch rats when they escape and are real fast!

Old 05-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #56
tinmantribe5
I would also like to Include some advice from my 80 year old grandmother who says
Get your Ho' out!

Old 05-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #57
Shadera
There's a nearby abandoned lot that isn't cared for and is a rat magnet. Once a year or so, a rat makes its way down from there and decides to take up residence in our rock wall. One even was smart enough to find a way into the house and would pop up late at night in whatever room I was in just to say hi.

The trap we had the most success with is just a small live trap from the farm store. We put a small styro plate inside where it couldn't be reached from the outside, and on it were goodies like peanut butter/seeds/cat food. We've always quickly caught the rat, and since the city never comes to get them like they say they will, we give them their rat poison once we have them in there and then leave them to die. A bit cruel maybe, but I'm not touching them, and I sure don't want them to get loose to teach the other rats to steer clear of traps. Once dead, into a trash bag and into the garbage can.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:28 PM   #58
Twizted Paths
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagickalMorphs View Post
We've always quickly caught the rat, and since the city never comes to get them like they say they will, we give them their rat poison once we have them in there and then leave them to die.
You're a lot nicer than me. The ones that have wandered into my no kill traps or feed buckets get to meet my hammer or the bottom of my boot.

I hate wild vermin in my house diseasing up my stuff.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:35 PM   #59
tinmantribe5
We can sick Demon Kitty on them! (Annabella)

Old 05-17-2010, 11:51 PM   #60
joseydiann
Yeah I hate death, and I hate killing. But this one MUST die. I will not toss it back out alive. It forced me to kill 12 of my breeding colony and has holes in every room of the house. To top it off I'm pretty sure it has brought a friend along, cause I hear one in the bathroom now!

I need about 4 more traps, my brother brought one this evening, we have it set but now the rat is not even in that room now. I just seen it run from my dogs food dish grrrr.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!