The Dangerous Animal Initiative-USA - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #21
Culebra
Just an FYI this happened in Ohio yesterday:
http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2012/nov/...it.ly%2FR0zEsW

Old 11-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #22
Taking Up Serpents
What happened in Ohio has no bearing on the VA issue Julie. Virginia will most likely have this taken care of and there won't be a need for an expensive lawsuit. Wouldn't it be nice to nip these bills in the bud and avoid court and lawyer fees all together?

Old 11-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #23
Culebra
Yessss, that would be nice. I was not trying to imply that Ohio's problem was the same in VA, I just wanted to spread the word. Didn't mean to offend. ;-/.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #24
billewicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taking Up Serpents View Post
What happened in Ohio has no bearing on the VA issue Julie. Virginia will most likely have this taken care of and there won't be a need for an expensive lawsuit. Wouldn't it be nice to nip these bills in the bud and avoid court and lawyer fees all together?
Virginia is looking into possible additional legislation in light of the release in Ohio last year.

Because Virginia has assembled a work group of stakeholders to help draft a proposal that could be more balanced, other states may well adopt whatever they come up with.

One possible benefit to the state might be that there could be fewer lawsuits against one sided legislation.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #25
Culebra
I hope you can be successful. I've become very jaded in this process in Ohio.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #26
Taking Up Serpents
May be worth it for VA lawmakers looking at Ohio to keep their eyes on it for the time being then; before making any final decisions.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #27
billewicz
Quote:
May be worth it for VA lawmakers looking at Ohio to keep their eyes on it for the time being then; before making any final decisions.
Earlier this year, proposed legislation placing bans on 'dangerous animals' was met with stiff opposition from across the state. These were 'tabled' for the year.

The Governor has since requested VA Game and Inland Fisheries to put forth a comprehensive proposal which is to consider all stakeholders while holding public safety paramount.

Although they have looked at Texas and rejected their format as unusable for Virginia and Florida's permit process for certain animals, I'm not aware of this group reviewing any other state.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #28
Taking Up Serpents
By my previous post, I meant they should look at Ohio to prevent lawsuits and the mess they have now from becoming the situation in VA. As far as considering model legislation from other states; the only one I know of is the NC model put in place by NCARK.
The only things that concern me about VA are 1-PETA is based in Norfolk and can summon crazies in a moments notice to act a fool in front of the legislative buildings during hearings. This can go either way as more and more people know PETA for the wack jobs they are. Hard to say if it can hurt or help our cause.
2- H$U$ is based right there in DC. It is pretty much in their backyard. Fortunately I have not seen any HSUS affiliates on the board as of yet. This could change as they have a habit of buying a seat or paying their way into having any input. If VA does not ban any exotics from ownership (current or future) then Pacelle will be throwing a fit as his HQ is just across the line.
Let's hope he bursts a vein under that spray tan skin of his!

Old 11-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #29
billewicz
Quote:
By my previous post, I meant they should look at Ohio to prevent lawsuits and the mess they have now from becoming the situation in VA. As far as considering model legislation from other states; the only one I know of is the NC model put in place by NCARK.
The only things that concern me about VA are 1-PETA is based in Norfolk and can summon crazies in a moments notice to act a fool in front of the legislative buildings during hearings. This can go either way as more and more people know PETA for the wack jobs they are. Hard to say if it can hurt or help our cause.
2- H$U$ is based right there in DC. It is pretty much in their backyard. Fortunately I have not seen any HSUS affiliates on the board as of yet. This could change as they have a habit of buying a seat or paying their way into having any input. If VA does not ban any exotics from ownership (current or future) then Pacelle will be throwing a fit as his HQ is just across the line.
Let's hope he bursts a vein under that spray tan skin of his!

Actually, Ms. Nicole Paquette from the Humane Society of the US is one of the stakeholders and very vocal.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #30
Taking Up Serpents
Oh! I did not know anyone from H$U$ was added to the board. The original list I saw had no national organizations representing the animal rights industry. Between coffers and political allies in VA I hate to say it doesn't surprise me that they found a way in.
I am familiar with Paquette. She makes the excuses for H$U$ lack of effort to do anything more than a blog entry about rattlesnake roundups and wrote the latest fear mongering hit piece on constrictor keepers.
I'll do what I can to help VA from across the line.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
banded