Incubator I made today - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 12-03-2004, 10:41 PM   #1
FamilyZoo
Talking Incubator I made today

150 qt Igloo cooler, temp control unit, digital thermometer/hydrometer, and heating element. Testing it over night in the garage where it will drop to 30 degrees tonight. Don’t plan on keeping it in the garage Plan on hooking up a variable speed fan that I can turn on and off tomorrow in it. Parts cost me 25%-30% of anything comparable that I could find on the market already built.

Old 12-04-2004, 06:33 AM   #2
MGReptiles
I am glad to see someone doin the cooler deal. I kow there is a company that sells them like that but they are outragous.. Lookin good!!!Now to sell them...lol..kiddin

Old 12-04-2004, 11:16 AM   #3
groovygeckos
nice

what is the bottled water for ?

Old 12-04-2004, 11:16 AM   #4
groovygeckos
lol

you forgot to empty the cooler dude

Old 12-04-2004, 11:22 AM   #5
MGReptiles
I was thinking the same thing. I was thinking humidity but wouldent work with a sealed bottle unless there was a drastic temp change and condensation occured.. Mabey a catlyst for heat retention? I dunno...

Old 12-04-2004, 11:27 AM   #6
FamilyZoo
Water bottles act as a heat sink. After messing around in it and the ambient temperature drops, the water bottles which are holding heat allow the incubator to get back to normal temperature quicker. They also help in stabilizing the temperatures when it’s in normal operation (less work for the temperature controller and heating element) . I opened it this am when it was 35 degrees out. Thermometer dropped to 61 degrees before I closed it. Inside temperature went back to 85.2 degrees about 2 minutes after I closed it.

Old 12-04-2004, 11:30 AM   #7
groovygeckos
cool

thanx ........definately have to get that in the house then

Old 12-04-2004, 05:36 PM   #8
Vince
sweet, since you seem pretty good at it you think you could post up some instructions?

Old 12-04-2004, 06:26 PM   #9
groovygeckos
Or

start selling some ?

Old 12-04-2004, 08:05 PM   #10
Glenn Bartley
I was about to also ask why the bottled water? I have never seen anything like this set up with bottled water. I figured you may have been planning on using the bottled water heat conductor to spread out the heat more evenly and to hold it longer.

I would advise one thing, be careful, should one of those bottles leak. It looks as if you have electrical wiring running down to them; this could get you fried if those bottles leak and the insulation on the wiring is not perfect and waterproof.
All the best,
GB

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!