Herpstat vs Helix DBS-1000 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

View Poll Results: Herpstat vs Helix DBS-1000
Herpstat 69 62.73%
Helix DBS-1000 41 37.27%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-26-2004, 01:30 AM   #1
lucky8926
Herpstat vs Helix DBS-1000

Which one do you recommend and why? What are each ones pros/cons?

Old 12-26-2004, 02:21 PM   #2
Ophis
Herpstat vs Helix

Herpstat by Spyder Robotics is fairly new to the market. This is the only product offered by Spyder. Spyders track record for product performance and customer service is not as well documented as Helix. Techicnal specifications of the Herpstat are almost Identical to the Helix unit. Herpstats are about $30.oo cheaper per unit I believe. Helix has a longer track record and offers a wide range of add on products such as wattage boosters, autodialers, etc... but you are paying a premium for the name. I have heard only good things about the Spyder units field performance. As competition benifits the consumer, I would give the Spyder unit a shot if I needed a small quantity of stats with those specifications. If I didnt need a proportional stat, but needed a night drop feature, I would go with a Johnson Controls A419. If I just needed a stat with an on/off control, and no night drop, I would go with a Ranco.

Old 12-26-2004, 09:38 PM   #3
lucky8926
Do I need a proportional for flexwatt or will an on/off thermo be sufficient?

Old 12-26-2004, 10:38 PM   #4
starwarsdad
Definitely get a proportional. Flexwatt will run at around 115°F if left unregulated from what I hear.

Old 12-26-2004, 11:01 PM   #5
Ophis
Proportional or on/off

You could use an on/off stat for Fexwatt as it is designed for constant on use if needed. Regarding the concern about a high temp output, just be sure that no part of the living enviornment reaches a dangerous level. a proportional stat will give you a more stable temp over all, but this may not be needed depending on your requirements. I believe proportional stats extend the life of the heating elements they control when compared to an on/off stat.

Old 12-26-2004, 11:29 PM   #6
lucky8926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophis
a proportional stat will give you a more stable temp over all, but this may not be needed depending on your requirements..
I'm not going to be using it in an incubator so plus or minus 2 degrees of what I have it set on isn't that big of a deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophis
I believe proportional stats extend the life of the heating elements they control when compared to an on/off stat.
I have heard this, that is the only reason I have been leaning toward a proportional instead of an on/off.

Old 12-29-2004, 08:41 PM   #7
jglass38
Go with the Herpstat and get it from mgreptiles.com . Great product at about $40 less than Helix combined with great customer service and quick delivery from Matt at MG. You wont be sorry. I have it on my breeder BPs and it has been rock solid!

Jamie

Old 12-30-2004, 12:27 AM   #8
lucky8926
I already beat you to it Jamie! Matt should be sending mine out sometime today. Thanks for the input!!

Old 01-01-2005, 01:46 AM   #9
MGReptiles
I agree that guy from Mg reptiles is awsome and pretty good lookin too...hahahaha Im kidding of course.. Gemme a herpstat anyday.. Just wait until the Herpstat PRO comes out..lol.. AWSOME......They are what everyone has been asking for but cant seem to get.. Oh yeah good stuff..But months away...Thanks for the props Jamie, I really appricate it!

Old 04-07-2005, 08:34 AM   #10
stupidclauton
can you use an on/off in a incubator?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!