Which roach should I buy and breed? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 05-28-2005, 10:23 AM   #31
sschind
[quote=Digby Rigby]Okay the last few posts did remind me of a good use for lobster roaches. I was once contacted by a client who needed 2000 roaches. He wanted to let them loose in his ex wifes house. Lobster roaches were the cheapest at the time and the only ones that are readily available as adults. He called me on a Monday night because he needed them by Thursday. On Tuesday he overnighted the money order I had my supplier send them out on Wednesday. Everything was like clockwork. The only thing he didnt take into account was how he would get into the house So he gave them to a pet store per my advice and we did it again 2 weeks later. He had no use for roaches He had no reptiles You get alot more for roaches when they are sold as a gag gift and I got a repeat order out of it.
QUOTE]

I suppose some people might think this is funny but personally I do not find the humor in it at all. Its just another example of people abusing animals (be it roaches, snakes, whatever) that gives the entire exotic hobby a bad name. I would guess a few laws were broken in the process of his prank and since you sold him the roaches knowing what he was intending them for that would make you an accomplice. You had convinced me to get a starter colony of dubias to complement my discoides, I'm glad I saw this post before I placed my order with you. This is the sort of crap the hobby can do without.

Steve

Old 05-28-2005, 12:13 PM   #32
leaftail
omg steve, you consider setting a bunch of roaches free abuse, but are fine with keeping them in a box until the day you use them as food (they are eaten alive remember).

Old 05-28-2005, 12:23 PM   #33
Rebel Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschind
I suppose some people might think this is funny but personally I do not find the humor in it at all. Its just another example of people abusing animals (be it roaches, snakes, whatever) that gives the entire exotic hobby a bad name. I would guess a few laws were broken in the process of his prank and since you sold him the roaches knowing what he was intending them for that would make you an accomplice. You had convinced me to get a starter colony of dubias to complement my discoides, I'm glad I saw this post before I placed my order with you. This is the sort of crap the hobby can do without.

Steve
Being a bit over dramatic, don't ya think?

Lmao, If you think your going to find a seller of feeders who has not participated in something like this, your going to be old and grey before you find one.

And realeasing roaches into an ex's house relates to our hobby how????

Old 05-28-2005, 12:35 PM   #34
Jadormdrache
to most people a roach is a roach, I'm sure she either maybe had a suspicion they were put in her house on purpose, but how did she know they weren't a species from her area? also the use of roaches in the herp community doesnt seem to be well known(this could be due to the fact the vast majority of herpers dont use roaches). the worst enemy of herpers is actually upbringing in our society because we're told over and over again as kids how snakes are "dangerous" and all reptiles are dirty, nevermind the family dog licks its ass then licks your face.

Old 05-28-2005, 04:44 PM   #35
Digby Rigby
Yeah Yeah Yeah

The roaches I sold would not infest the house or become feral. Beisdes if you dont buy from me fr that reason then on moral grounds you couldnt buy from others either because the roaches were brokered by me from one of my suppliers who knew what was up. So that being the case you cant on those same moral grounds bu from the largest or one of the largest dubia suppliers either. No laws were broken. In fact there is no one who sells roaches that you would consider getting them from that wouldnt or hasnt done the same thing. So that means you will remain roachless based on your moral indignation. Also This thread is about appropriate roaches that are non climbers to breed and use as feeders. Lets keep it on track and stay focused I dont see you comparing me to Fear Factor. Surely they would be more appropriate for you to talk about cruelty then anything I have done. I hav broken no laws nor am I an accomplice in something shady or dishonest. Once again if you havent bought from me you have bought fromm or will buy from someone who has bought from me or sold to me. So unless you want to boycott everyone who has sold to me or bought from me knowing what they were being used for then your words ring hollow Sschind

Old 05-28-2005, 04:49 PM   #36
Ophis
PEOPLE!..............PEOPLE!.......lets get a GRIP HERE!...we are talking about friggin ROACHES!.......we feed them live to our Herps anyway!

Old 05-28-2005, 05:25 PM   #37
Digby Rigby
Back to the original subject

Suitable non glass climbing roaches that wont infest your house to use as feeders and breeders are roaches from from the genus Blaptica, Blaberus, Eublaberus, Byrsotria, Polyphaga, among others.

DigbyRigby@exoticfeeders.com

Old 06-01-2005, 09:48 AM   #38
sschind
Would you consider releasing 2000 honey bees into someones house? What about 2000 fire ants? What about rose hair tarantulas? Why stick with inverts, lets release 2000 corn snakes or green anoles or house geckos into someones home, that would be a riot. Heck, I've got a boa that just had 40 babies, I think I'll let them go in my neighbors basement just for a laugh. I think I'll dump 5000 feeder goldfish into his pool while I am at it, that would be pretty funny. Unless her house was already infested with lobster roaches, I would be pretty sure that she would or could figure out that they were let loose intentionally. How much money would it cost to have an exterminator in and take care of this infestation. Heck the guy might as well have just broken her windows, its just another form of vandalism as far as I am concerned. Also, I am not talking about the abuse of roaches in a specific sense such as burning them with a magnifying glass or pulling off their legs. I'm looking at it as an abuse of the hobby in general. I look at it in the same way I view giving away goldfish or iguanas at carnivals. It is something I do not support. I wouldn't support anything that could provide those people who are opposed to keeping exotics (either as pets or as pet food) with ammunition. If it got out that these roaches were exotic and released intentionally it could lead all sorts of directions and yes, it could come back to the reptile hobby since many roaches are intended for reptile food. If this were something done by a bunch of 13 year olds as a prank I probably wouldn't view it in this light but supposedly grown adults acting like adolescents and being proud of it makes me wonder sometimes. If, as you say, all roach breeders knowingly participate in such immature actions then I guess I will remain roachless.

Steve

Old 06-01-2005, 12:35 PM   #39
leaftail
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschind
If, as you say, all roach breeders knowingly participate in such immature actions then I guess I will remain roachless.
No, don't remain roachless. You have a good point. Abuse of the hobby, etc. I have to say I agree with you now But don't remain roachless because of it. By that logic you would remain bugless and herpless as well, since as you pointed out, pranks are pulled with them as well, but not by everyone involved in the hobby.

Old 06-01-2005, 02:34 PM   #40
Jadormdrache
that feeder goldfish thing is a good idea.........except my neighbor doesn't have a pool

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!