PetCo petition to stop selling snake food - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 12-15-2005, 12:07 AM   #1
Junkyard
PetCo petition to stop selling snake food

This is so funny, these people think that rodents should not be food for snakes, also that snakes need to be returned to the wild to eat rodents....I just love people!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takea...ltl=1134622987

Old 12-15-2005, 01:33 AM   #2
hhmoore
makes me wonder about the people that signed the petition in order to comment against it though, lol. I also wonder if all the rodent huggers object to guppies and goldfish being sold as feeders...not to mention crickets and other invertebrates

Old 12-15-2005, 01:55 AM   #3
hhmoore
I was also amused that most of the people that were proclaiming how intelligent mice are couldn't spell

Old 12-15-2005, 02:14 AM   #4
reptilebreeder
freakin Idiots. Not the vegan, tree hugging, ones (well they are idiots, but that's a given) I'm talking about the ones who admit keeping other animals or who shop at pet stores. How do they not know how moronic they are when they say. "oh, I have mice (rats/gerbils/whatever) they are so cute, they need to keep snakes in the wild" Hello! Hello, Mcfly! Hello!
It's okay to keep rodents, fish, and such in cages/aquariums, but not snakes. They feel all noble and sanctimonious, while they are feeding their cats and dogs food made from horses.

Old 12-15-2005, 03:23 AM   #5
bbbxcursion
I want to petition they stop selling snakes. I have been to the one by my house and I felt sick to my stomach as I was walking out. Petsmart is no better. I think it was the Petco in Dekalb IL that treated them so bad. Geckos with lost tails along with a couple dead geckos, beardies in the same shape-a couple dead ones. Just about every snake had retained eye caps, none had a complete shed, and most were VERY skinny.

Old 12-15-2005, 04:17 AM   #6
Clay Davenport
Just for kicks, here's the email address of the person who is sponsoring the petition, Molly Smith, molly_nicole_16@yahoo.com

It's really enlightening to see the skewed opinions of many people out there. I just find it impossible to understand their method of reasoning. It is often repeated in the comments of the petition that snakes shouldn't be kept as pets while many who make that comment have caged rodents.
They speak of how inhumane it is that a live mouse be fed to a snake, but generally disregard the fact that that's exactly what happens everyday in the wild. What requires captivity to be different?
While most snakes will indeed eat thawed prey many simply won't. I have several ball pythons that would starve to death if I refused to let them have live prey.
Regardless we're all preaching to the choir here. We'll never understand their way of thinking. We look at the natural food chain as normal, while they view it as something that should only apply in the wild.
Just for laughs though here's a few of the better comments made on the petition for those who didn't want to take the time to browse them. Many just display their complete ignorance of anything regarding snakes.

Quote:
We are Hippocrates!!
Phyllis Pickett, Garden City, Kansas
For those who didn't get the typo, Hippocrates was the greek physician from who we get the Hippocratic Oath

Quote:
Rodents are animals too, and snakes can eat other food.
Jessica Zapadka, Pennsylvania
Thank you for that brilliant revelation Jessica. Too bad you didn't mention what those other foods are because we poor snake owners just can't seem to figure it out.

Quote:
Rats are pets, not food.
Nikki Stonerr, Chaska, Minnesota
I think Nikki has watched Finding Nemo one to many times.

Quote:
I do not know what snakes eat, but people should try to find food for snakes that is from nonliving things.
Anonymous, Massachusetts

Personnally they need to find non animal substitutes for feeding snakes--they have vegecat for cats now that cats can be vegetarian-we need cruelty free food for snakes
Anonymous
I keep offering my boas cucumbers, but they just aren't getting it. Maybe yellow squash is the way to go.

Quote:
Adhere to the teachings of Jesus, as contained in The Urantia Book, or else suffer the consequences.
Lawrence Smith, BA Saint Simons Island, GA
I had to look it up to see. This is from the Urantia Foundation website:
"The Urantia Book, first published by the Urantia Foundation in 1955, was authored by celestial beings as a special revelation to our planet, Urantia."
Enough said there

Quote:
Just put some ground beef on a string, snakes are too dumb to know the difference!!
Kelly K. Skokie, Illinois
Pot....kettle...... you get the idea. I'd feel safe wagering I've had snakes with more intelligence than Kelly here.

Quote:
I only buy ones that have been killed in a humane way by people who know what they're doing.
Nathan Smith, Australia
Yeah, too bad you apparently need special training to kill a mouse. In essence he's just saying he doesn't know enough to kill a rodent.

Quote:
Ok, all you Snake Owners. This is your last warning.. The National Alliance of Rat Owners demand you stop feeding Rats and Mice to your pet Phythons.
Stephen Deavers Hesperia, California
Or.........what?

Haha, at least these nutcases are good for a laugh if nothing else. I bet they'd just love my rodent building, the room of doom, haha.

Old 12-15-2005, 09:00 AM   #7
Junkyard
We certainly do not have to worry about Steven. I do not own a "Phython" and I really do not think anyone here does.

Old 12-15-2005, 09:29 AM   #8
mhwc56
I agree with Brandon. They should all stop selling ANIMALS in general though,not just snakes. I was in Superpetz just yesterday and it was DISGUSTING but when I approached the store personnel about the conditions they literally just shrugged . I am very much against impulse buys and that's usually how animals are sold in places like these. Sales of an individual breed of animal should be left to people who are knowledgeable NOT to uneducated people.

Old 12-15-2005, 09:44 AM   #9
Bill & Amy
Lets start our own petition, for feeding rodents. Then we can make comments as well!!

Old 12-15-2005, 09:53 AM   #10
Clay Davenport
How about a petition to ban the keeping of rodents as pets due to the fact they serve no purpose in the world other than feeders for higher organisms.
Additionally we would ask for official legal exemption of all feeder rodents from any laws governing humane treatment.
That should give them a coronary.

I'd be glad to set it up, but it would have to be under another name and generic email account to avoid the inevitable flood of hate mail.

Come to think of it, a website dedicated to that cause would be hilarious. Then the emails could be posted too.
Anyone ever see the website Bonsai Kitten? It was a completely fictional site set up as a joke endorsing the keeping of kittens in very small jars to make them grow into shapes.
The hate mail was great from that one.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!