New Herpstat Models Coming - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 05-12-2006, 09:44 AM   #11
twh49801
MG Reptiles

........matched MG Reptiles advertised sale price.when you look at the features for that price it's a "no brainer".have fun! TWH

Old 05-12-2006, 11:02 AM   #12
spyderrobotics
Hello folks! Dion Brewington here from Spyder Robotics. Don't panic! The Herpstat ND will not replace the original Herpstat. :^) What its intended for is to allow those who use the night drop option to have a thermostat that doesn't require a appliance timer and the extra cords. Saves money, hassle, and you get a nice digital clock built in to control your dusk/dawn times instead of using a cheap appliance timer that constantly has to be adjusted. Currently the original Herpstat msrp is $109, the night drop cable at $25, and a cheap appliace timer runs $6 bringing in a total of $140. When released the Herpstat ND will msrp at $135 saving some money. So for those who don't need the night drop option save some money and go with the original (you can always add the nd cable/timer later). If you know you want the night drop option from the start then the Herpstat ND is the right choice.

In keeping the cost down the device will not have a fan like the Herpstat II therefore the wattage will be somewhere in the middle between the original Herpstat and the Herpstat II (expecting 600 watts). I will be doing thermal tests soon to see what it can safely take. Won't be 1500 watts. To switch that much power proportionally you need serious heatsinks and a lot of airflow (think car audio amplifiers). The 1500 watt thermostats out there are relay controlled so they are a on/off style. They work nice in many applications but you do have to listen to the loud clicking of the relay engaging. I used one to control a space heater in one of my rooms and it drove me nuts.

I would like to say I appreciate everyones business and support! I do get a lot of wonderful comments emailed to me from satasfied customers. We do build these specifically for the reptile industry so customer feedback is always helpful. I look forward to the release of the Herpstat ND and providing another great heating solution.

-Dion Brewington

Old 05-12-2006, 11:27 AM   #13
twh49801
dion you didn't mention...............

..........anything about the pro model,anything you can share? BTW is it financialy feasible to have wireless probes for a multi probed thermostat.i luv your stats and will order nothing else for my future needs.have fun! TWH

Old 05-12-2006, 11:35 AM   #14
Bill & Amy
I already use a regular Herpstat (works great). I really like the screen on the ND version!! Can't wait to get my new Herpstat II!!! Then, on top of that, we get a Pro Model (with 4 probes)!!! SWEEEET!!!

Old 05-12-2006, 11:37 AM   #15
MGReptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Ashton
Jamie -

Here are Spyder's current re-sellers.

http://spyderrobotics.com/order/resellers.html

I don't think GLK carries the Herpstat 2, so I'm not sure if they'll pick-up the Herpstat Pro.
Shoot me an email when they come out Scott Ill give ya a friendly price

Old 05-12-2006, 12:25 PM   #16
spyderrobotics
twh49801:
The pro model will basically be a four output version of the Herpstat II with a larger display. Wattage per output is still to be determined as I am evaluating different enclosures. The current AC cords are rated at 1625 watts which would limit the wattage of each output to 400 watts. In testing many different rack systems most draw 300 watts or less.

Wireless probes wouldn't be cost effective for most but to answer your question I have experimented with RF wireless transmitting the data and considered "through wall" style data transfer (such as the X10 home automation technology). However, the price of doing such does put it out of the range of most and I am not sure the demand is there.

Bill & Amy:
The screen on the Herpstat ND is the same one used in the Herpstat II. They are nice units. Very clear and pleasant to look at in both daylight and darkness due to the bright backlight.

Old 05-12-2006, 01:15 PM   #17
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderrobotics
twh49801:
The pro model will basically be a four output version of the Herpstat II with a larger display. Wattage per output is still to be determined as I am evaluating different enclosures. The current AC cords are rated at 1625 watts which would limit the wattage of each output to 400 watts. In testing many different rack systems most draw 300 watts or less.

Wireless probes wouldn't be cost effective for most but to answer your question I have experimented with RF wireless transmitting the data and considered "through wall" style data transfer (such as the X10 home automation technology). However, the price of doing such does put it out of the range of most and I am not sure the demand is there.

Bill & Amy:
The screen on the Herpstat ND is the same one used in the Herpstat II. They are nice units. Very clear and pleasant to look at in both daylight and darkness due to the bright backlight.
Well there you go - from the man himself!!!

Bill - I can't wait for the Pro unit either.

And Sammy - looks like you can keep some money burning a hole in your pocket for awhile.

Talk about variety!

Old 05-12-2006, 01:24 PM   #18
Golden Gate Geckos
Are these controllers proportional band or on/off? How do they compare to Helix?

Old 05-12-2006, 01:29 PM   #19
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Gate Geckos
Are these controllers proportional band or on/off? How do they compare to Helix?
Marcia:

They are proportional.

I've never used a Helix, but I have been using a Herpstat 2 for about 6 months and have been very happy.

Old 05-12-2006, 01:32 PM   #20
Bill & Amy
I also have a helix contoller and my Herpstat works just as well as the Helix has. I like the display Herpstat has in tenths of a degree, they are proportional also.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!