Your Help is Desperately NEEDED- PLEASE - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
simplysnakes
Your Help is Desperately NEEDED- PLEASE

There is a petition concerning Florida Fish and Wildlife's proposed new Rules and Regulations, and the possible reintroduction of Bill 990 concerning reptiles. If you agree with what we've written, I ask that you sign it and also pass it along to as many people as you can that may also want to sign it. There is a Sept 13 deadline for the public to voice its' concern.

YOU CAN SIGN THIS PETITION ONLINE AT the FOLLOWING LINK!

Just a quick note to let everyone know that the Reptile Petition is now available on our web page at

www.jaxherp.org

Thanks For listening.

Petition to Stop Proposed Laws and Regulations concerning Reptiles of Concern

We, the undersigned Florida residents are appalled that a few select groups, or powerful person(s) are able to without due scientific study, or even legitimate studied facts are attempting to effect legislation both locally and statewide. Further, that those same person(s) and groups are asking for laws to be passed on their own views and without study and without correct verifiable proof.

“Currently there are an estimated 7.3 million reptile-owning households in the US. There are 50-55 million households with dogs and cats as pets (Doug Mader, DVM, DABVP).” From HSUS “there are 6-8 million cats and dogs entering shelters each year.” Based on a study completed by UF Gainesville Florida; “there is an estimated of 40-60 million feral cats in the US, and some 15 million cats in Florida which spend all or part of their time outside preying on wild life. It is estimated that cats kill as many as 271 million small mammals and 68 million birds each year in Florida with many of these members of threatened and endangered species (Hatley)”
Yet based on a sensationalized story and actual numbers per Skip Snow, a wildlife biologist at Everglades National Park ….. Between 1995-2005 a 10 year period an actual 212 Burmese pythons were captured and removed from the park. That is not 212 million or 212 thousand. Just 212 total over a 10 year period, or 21 a year. Or could that number have been 210 in 1995 and 2 in 2005 …. I think you get the point. It took 10 years to have a number.
Yet, there is 15 million cats preying on Florida’s wildlife.
Included in the legislation also is a recommendation of Pit tagging the proposed Reptiles Of Concern (ROC) and all non-indigenous venomous reptiles. This recommendation must have come from someone without any medical knowledge, and without concern with the humans that would have to come in full contact with these venomous animals. More than one vet has stated that it will most likely will harm or kill the smaller venomous species of reptiles. This is an unnecessary risk when there are other methods such as photography. And, who will be paying those kinds of costs for not only the animal but the humans possible death risk because of having to provide the proposed pit tagging per legislation? There has not been a problem with venomous reptiles in Florida. Based on the numbers provided there isn’t a problem with non-venomous reptiles either. What animals that have escaped due to hurricanes or mishandling are such miniscule numbers compared to the real threat to our environment…. That being both domesticated and feral cats and dogs, and humans laying waste via chemical poisoning, fertilizers, pesticides, and chemically treated waste water, sewers, and septic tanks poisoning the environment we live in. So, should we be spinning our wheels wasting tax payers’ monies on useless and ultimately unenforceable laws that arose out of certain persons groups or media sensationalizing and twisting facts. We implore Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, and our public representatives to be prudent in its efforts to regulate. We suggest that the laws we already have are sufficient but require funding to enforce. We do not need more laws. Further, we recommend that our legislators and FWC form a working group including industry members, to develop, determine, establish and promulgate a specific set of standards to consider and review a species before adding it to a list that will affect so many Floridians in so many ways. This study should have not only a verbal but scientific basis before legislating what should happen. If we can’t afford the study, then we can’t afford the laws, rules and regulations either past, present or proposed future.

THIS IS A HUGE CONCERN HERE. PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW TO HAVE THEM SIGN IT. I PERSONALLY DONT WANT TO INSERT A LARGE MICROCHIP INTO ANY BABY SNAKE!

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP IN THIS MATTER.
SINCERELY,
BETH & PAUL MOODY
SIMPLY SNAKES
WWW.SIMPLYSNAKES.COM

Old 09-04-2006, 10:42 AM   #2
Jim O
This does not belong on the BOI.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:48 AM   #3
simplysnakes
Why not? Do you think that pit tagging a baby snake is acceptable? It will kill the snake. That is a concern. I dont post many threads here, but I do feek this is worthy and very important to many out there. It concerns pythons and boas too. Thanks
Beth Moody

Old 09-04-2006, 11:13 AM   #4
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysnakes
Why not? Do you think that pit tagging a baby snake is acceptable? It will kill the snake. That is a concern. I dont post many threads here, but I do feek this is worthy and very important to many out there. It concerns pythons and boas too. Thanks
Beth Moody
Beth,

Don't misinterpret my comment as saying making any such childish suggestions. Perhaps reading the site's rules and guidelines for posting on the BOI and you will get a sense of why I made the comment.

I'll quote from http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ead.php?t=8880

Quote:
Rules for Posting on the BOI <-- REQUIRED READING!! (updated 06/21/06)
NOTE: Please note that some of the rules mentioned here are SITE WIDE, and not limited in scope merely to the BOI.

Please note that the rules here have been significantly reduced and simplified as of 06/21/06.

This forum is designed to serve the purpose of giving anyone interested in the buying and selling of herptile related merchandise the opportunity to inquire about, or find already existing information concerning a person or business with whom they are considering doing business with. This is NOT the place for flame wars of any kind. Statements, rebuttals and clarifications of FACTS are what we are looking for. Personal slurs or heated discusssions about someone's ancestry will not be tolerated. Opinions are acceptable as long as it is PLAINLY stated that you are stating an opinion. Facts are: dates, value of transactions, actual quoted conversations, and the like. Opinons are: YOUR interpretations of motives, business practices or impressions of the person with whom you had conversations with. Keep these FIRMLY in mind when you are posting your message.
There are places on Fauna outside the BOI for this type of thread such as the section on state laws at http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...play.php?f=615. I imagine a moderator will move it to one such location.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:24 AM   #5
simplysnakes
ok and i qoute " This forum is designed to serve the purpose of giving anyone interested in the buying and selling of herptile related merchandise the opportunity to inquire about, or find already existing information concerning a person or business with whom they are considering doing business with." This thread that I have posted has to deal with information regarding the requirement of pit tagging snakes. So if a person is wanting to purchase a snake in the future (if this passes) then the snake will have to be pit tagged. If it is a baby snake - whos to say it wont die after a month from it?
Beth Moody

Old 09-04-2006, 11:27 AM   #6
simplysnakes
One more thing I forgot to add - If this is indeed in the wrong place I apologize. As I stated before we dont post to often here and I am sure you are right as they will move it to the right place.

Thanks
Beth Moody

Old 09-04-2006, 11:39 AM   #7
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysnakes
ok and i qoute " This forum is designed to serve the purpose of giving anyone interested in the buying and selling of herptile related merchandise the opportunity to inquire about, or find already existing information concerning a person or business with whom they are considering doing business with." This thread that I have posted has to deal with information regarding the requirement of pit tagging snakes. So if a person is wanting to purchase a snake in the future (if this passes) then the snake will have to be pit tagged. If it is a baby snake - whos to say it wont die after a month from it?
Beth Moody
Yes Beth, exactly..."to inquire about, or find already existing information concerning a person or business with whom they are considering doing business".

To what person or business it be that you would be referring in this thread?

Old 09-04-2006, 11:49 AM   #8
simplysnakes
Any business or reptile breeders in Florida will be affected by this. Then after Florida passes it who is to say which state will be next to do the same thing. I understand your point. I have already apologized for posting it in the wrong place and I am sure they will move it to the right catagory. But this is a worthy concern to everyone and anyone in everystate.

Thanks for viewing and listening
Beth Moody

Old 09-04-2006, 12:08 PM   #9
Laura Fopiano
Last year there was a very long thread concerning the arrests that tool place in Daytona, that being said, this topic should could be worded a little differently and be high lighted for all to read and sign.

California just went through a ridiculous attempt at law making for feeder rodents. We may have won the battle, but the war still rages on in our industry!!!

Beth I would sudjest that you contact PIJAC they will fight for our rights.

http://www.pijac.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1

Old 09-04-2006, 12:17 PM   #10
simplysnakes
Laura - Thank you so very much for that information. I have sent them an email. Again I really appreciate your help and support. Thanks

Beth Moody

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!