Pics of African Soft Fur Rats - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:06 AM   #21
budlightnj2004
Anyone got any idea where i can pickup a few breeders. I am located in Southeast Alabama

Old 02-02-2007, 07:48 AM   #22
kmurphy
Quote:
Yes they are bigger than mice, but very much smaller that rats. I think as far as babies they are equivalent to mice. One big plus is they won't outgrow a good size meal for a ball python. Plus within a couple of weeks after weaning they are almost comparable to an adult mouse. Adult males reach 75 grams. I think (from what I have read they have a gestation average of 23 days and weaning average of 3-3 1/2 weeks.
Interesting. Thanks for the replies. I assume they don't smell as much as mice? How do you handle them. Gloves - forceps? Size wise do you you rat set-ups or mice?

Old 02-02-2007, 08:53 AM   #23
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy
Interesting. Thanks for the replies. I assume they don't smell as much as mice? How do you handle them. Gloves - forceps? Size wise do you you rat set-ups or mice?
I believe the reason they don't smell as much is the fact that you have to keep them in smaller groups for succesful breeding. Most breeders keep only 1.2 together for breeding. Plus the fact they need more room per animal. Here is a link to a caresheet. I just use the built in handle for moving them. Right now I have them in the smaller concrete mixing tubs that I used for larger rats. I will be doing an experiment with a freedom breeder rack this weekend and will post pics.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:47 PM   #24
The BoidSmith
Bill,

Regrettably my account status doesn't allow me to give you feedback. I also hoped we would have had more time to visit. Some other time!

Dan

Quote:
The BoidSmith, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Log Out Home

Old 02-02-2007, 08:00 PM   #25
Chris Steele
Cute lil' things!

Old 02-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #26
The BoidSmith
But they really like to gnaw! One the way back one had made a hole in the tupperware. Glass tanks or concrete as Bill suggested are highly recommended!

Old 02-02-2007, 08:29 PM   #27
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
But they really like to gnaw! One the way back one had made a hole in the tupperware. Glass tanks or concrete as Bill suggested are highly recommended!
Was it right along the crease I pointed out Dan?

Old 02-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #28
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
Bill,

Regrettably my account status doesn't allow me to give you feedback. I also hoped we would have had more time to visit. Some other time!

Dan
Not a problem Dan.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:56 PM   #29
techgirl
Turns out that my friend breeds the little buggers!! He never knew I was interested in them because it never came up in conversation before. He's going to be giving me a 1.3 group next week. Talk about lucky. LOL

Old 02-03-2007, 12:24 AM   #30
jaxom1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by techgirl
Turns out that my friend breeds the little buggers!! He never knew I was interested in them because it never came up in conversation before. He's going to be giving me a 1.3 group next week. Talk about lucky. LOL
Congrats! I've yet to find anyone on the west coast, and I don't have friends (c:

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!