Deformed Mojave Hatchling - WARNING! GRAPHIC! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-03-2011, 03:17 AM   #1
TripleMoonsExotic
Post Deformed Mojave Hatchling - WARNING! GRAPHIC!

Deformed hatchling from Mojave x Normal clutch of four. Clutch pipped a week late and after 2 days of no action from this egg after siblings exited, decided to cut an immediately noticed something wrong. Upper jaw did not form completely, kinking and major organs protected by only a thin transparent layer of skin. The movement you see in the video is the snake's heart beating. Euthanized immediately after filming. No variation in my incubation temperatures were noted, just appears he wasn't meant to be. Siblings (1 Mojave, 2 Normal) appear to be fine.

Every reptile breeder needs to come to terms with the possibility of losing an egg or hatchling at some point. It takes a big person to acknowledge the idea that sometimes animals have to be euthanized for failure to thrive or deformation. It takes an even bigger person to be able to humanely act this out.

Having problems viewing the video? Click here.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2011, 04:13 AM   #2
Katie.Shinkle
Oh wow, how sad

You made the right decision, of course. That little one just had no chance of survival. Thank you for sharing!

Old 07-03-2011, 04:50 AM   #3
Elizabeth Minton
OMG i am sooo sorry.... now i only wish there was a way of unseein some things. That is so sad but it obvious you did the right thing by euthenizing this little guy

Old 07-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
deborahbroadus
Thanks for sharing, Stephanie.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
TripleMoonsExotic
Thanks for the comments. I've always been realistic about my responsibility as a breeder and what is necessary. It's also one thing to witness a severely deformed hatchling cut from the egg that has already passed, but this is the first time I've ever witnessed anything of this magnitude and have it still be alive.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
Quiet Tempest
I'm sorry.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
TripleMoonsExotic
Surviving clutch mates...
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
Abby
Sorry Steph Thanks for sharing though. The living hatchlings look perfect, love that Mojave!

Old 07-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
Matt2979
That surviving mojave is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing that bad part, too. I think it's important that folks getting into breeding for the fun part of the hobby, be aware of what they might have to deal with. I've had to cull my fair share of animals (if any of them were fair) but I've never experienced anything like the one you just shared. Sorry that you had to.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2979 View Post
That surviving mojave is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing that bad part, too. I think it's important that folks getting into breeding for the fun part of the hobby, be aware of what they might have to deal with. I've had to cull my fair share of animals (if any of them were fair) but I've never experienced anything like the one you just shared. Sorry that you had to.
This is exactly what I felt the need to document it and post it here and on Facebook. Breeding isn't all hearts and stars. Things like this can and does happen regardless of what you do to control it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
ball python, hatching, hatchling