Injured Timor Monitor - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
bigjej
Injured Timor Monitor

I recently noticed an injury on my Timor's back. At first I thought it was a stuck shed, as the skin around it was pale but then saw what looks like an abrasion or laceration - app 5 mm. - on its back surrounded by a large patch of pale skin. On top of that there is what looks like dead skin that is stuck on it. There is no active bleeding or pus. She is still active and eating well. I just took her out to inspect and clean the wound under tap water and she is now sitting in a betadine/water soak. I will let her dry and put Bacitracin on the wound. Any suggestions? I sent the photo to a friend who is a vet student to see what the vet he works for has to offer but the photo is a poor representation - best I could get at the moment. Any suggestions? If I can't treat it at home I will take her to a vet but it will be difficult at the moment.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
bigjej
Here is one photo.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
bigjej
Here is another. Any informed thoughts/advice ( besides the obvious take her to a vet right away or you are a horrible person type replies which will be ignored. I would not be posting here if I was able to get her to an appropriate vet right now. Unfortunately I have to wait a few days and want to do what treatment I can in the meantime ).
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
hadenglock
really nothing you can do until you can get him into a vet (and yes i did just say that because only they will be able to determine what is wrong with him, deal with it or dont), you don't know what youre dealing with, could be anything from a burn to fungus since you do not know how it got there.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #5
bigjej
Its not that I dont want or plan on going to a vet, its that I cannot get to a vet until later this week so would like some advice on how to responsibly care for her until then. I have not shied taking my reptiles to vets before.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
Edwardo
You might want to make sure you are using flood lights, not spotlights.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
hadenglock
There's really nothing you can do, nor should do until you can get him to a vet, best i can recommend you do until you take him to a vet is practice good husbandry techniques until you can get him in.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
angie.h
I agree that it would be best to take her to a qualified vet. Until then you might try raw, unpasteurized honey. It must be raw, not the grocery store kind. It's a great antibacterial/antibiotic/antifungal. It's used in human + animal medicine now because of how well it works against ulcers, burns, etc. Again, it MUST be raw and unpasteurized, found at a health food store or from an actual beekeeper. If in doubt as to whether it's truly raw, then skip it because the type that you get at the supermarket are highly processed + more like syrupy sugar. If you Google " raw honey as a wound dressing " you'll see the clinical info. about it's use + effectiveness. If you decide to try some, thin it out a bit with warm [ not hot ] water to make it easier to apply.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
NIGRO51
Any updates?

Old 04-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
bigjej
Best guess by the vet - burn injury. Turns out I accidentally was using a spot halogen instead of a broad angle one. GOod thing is, the vet advised continuing what I was doing - daily providone (iodine formula) baths with bacitracin applied afterwards, and the wound has healed over. Lesson learned.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!