Creating tub labels - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:26 AM   #1
Southern Wolf
Creating tub labels

Thought I would shoot a video of how we create our tub labels. I show you the process from start to finish. Photographing the snakes, processing the images on the computer, laying out the labels, water proofing... and then the installed label and the critter inside.

Hope you enjoy the How-To.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:35 AM   #2
Abby
Great video Kevin! I started making labels for my tubs about a month or so ago. With mine I use clear contact paper to "laminate" them and then fix them onto the tub with velcro, since I do a lot of moving around with my snakes, LOL. I never thought about lacquer, that's a good idea. I've attached examples of my cage cards
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Heart and Soul Reptiles
Well darn, you guys are all fancy and stuff.
I'm still using a label printer, putting their code number and a nickname on there.
This opens up a whole new world of labeling!! lol

Old 12-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
groomingdiva
Kevin,

Great video! I don't mean to hijack your thread, but Abby, how do you come up with your numbering system for your animals. This is something that I need to work on this week.

Thanks for all the info

Steph

Old 12-27-2010, 07:16 AM   #5
Abby
Quote:
Originally Posted by groomingdiva View Post
Kevin,

Great video! I don't mean to hijack your thread, but Abby, how do you come up with your numbering system for your animals. This is something that I need to work on this week.

Thanks for all the info

Steph
I just started using PR (for Python regius) and then the number BP they are that I've had (01, 02, etc). The last few letters on the end indicate to me the initials of the person or place I got the snake from. Simple and works for me, lol! For clutches/animals I produce it's a bit different. Example:

EC12-AM02-BBxCC

stands for Eryx colubrinus #12, my initials clutch #2, initials of the pair that produced them. This format could change down the line as it's a bit lengthy but it works for now.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
groomingdiva
Thanks Abby. I'm going to have to come up with something that I can remember. I'm not to the breeding poiny yet, but hopefully next year.

Steph

Old 12-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart and Soul Reptiles View Post
Well darn, you guys are all fancy and stuff.
I'm still using a label printer, putting their code number and a nickname on there.
This opens up a whole new world of labeling!! lol

Dont it though

I spent a long time trying to figure out how I was gonna label my tubs. Some Ideas worked... most didn't. Then I came up with this way... and I haven't looked back. It has everything I need for an ID right down to their photo... and it's water resistant thanks to the spray.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by groomingdiva View Post
Kevin,

Thanks for all the info

Steph
Thanks and no prob.

I do something similar to Abby.

For my keepers I use the following

CS.M.08.01
CS = Cornsnake, KS = Kingsnake, BP = Ball Python
M = Male
08 = Birth year
01 = Animal number from that year or animal number total for species (take your pick)

For my clutches I use the following

10 = year produced
08 = Clutch number for that year
01 = baby from that clutch

This way no two babies have the same ID number and if someone calls with an ID number I can most likely answer any questions they have on that specific baby.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
groomingdiva
Thanks Kevin!

Old 12-28-2010, 07:06 PM   #10
bradleymoore
pretty cool. i need a fancy camera with a quick shutter response. i'm old school as well using a labeling machine for my snakes. i do like the idea of a photo ID on the tubs, though i'd probably use my commercial laminating machine at work so i could detach them and send as a photo ID on the snakes i sell.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!