Night time temps for ackies... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-24-2005, 06:37 PM   #1
some_lizard_guy
Question Night time temps for ackies...

I was reading Pro-Exotics's ackie caresheet today, and it said that a night-time temp of 80*F was necessary to avoid RIs. I don't want to have to have to switch bulbs at dawn and dusk so I'm wondering if either a CHE or Red Bulb could be used 24/7 instead of switching from normal light? When the baby gets bigger and is moved to the adult cage that I plan on building, then I could have two lamps (one normal, one red), but I don't think two heat lamps and a UV lamp would work on a 20L while he is still small... I have two weeks to tinker with the temps before the baby arrives... Any suggestions?
-Drew

Old 07-24-2005, 08:39 PM   #2
Casey Hulse
I think

Flexwatt is the ticket, if you get a piece of 3" 6watt of the proper length, you can leave it on all the time, you can build a dimmer switch in the summer to cool it down, but it will provide a nice warm spot yr. round and I have never had to replace any flexwatt and I use lots of it. I run it about 85-95 all the time for the babies and they sleep on or very near the warmest spot.

Old 07-24-2005, 09:10 PM   #3
some_lizard_guy
He would still need a basking light for the day though, right?

Old 07-24-2005, 09:12 PM   #4
Casey Hulse
yes

UVA and UVB both, The active UV lamps supply both, but they can give off quite a bit of heat as well so you need to be able to raise the bulb as needed.

Old 07-24-2005, 09:16 PM   #5
some_lizard_guy
I was planning on using Repti-Sun 10.0s, but wanted to make sure I couldn't just use flexwatt for the heat... I know that with BDs you are only supposed to use heat tape as a secondary heat source because they need the light to understand that the basking spot even exists...

Old 07-24-2005, 09:18 PM   #6
some_lizard_guy
Just to add to my previous post, for small cages I use incandescents and for the big BD cage I use a halogen and an incandescent... I will probably use a halogen for the ackie as well as I know monitors love heat.

Old 07-24-2005, 11:06 PM   #7
Casey Hulse
I would set it up with the 10.0 and a basking light, put the flex under the basking area. put them both on a timer about 12 hrs for the babies. It should be set up about the same as your dragons, but we do not use heat lamps at night, just flexwatt.

Old 07-25-2005, 06:52 AM   #8
some_lizard_guy
So heat tape is the way to go... Thanks!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!