Fecal Test Findings - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
Mooing Tricycle
Fecal Test Findings

Today i found that the sunbeam had pooped, but i noticed that there was a worm in the stool. Immediately grossed out... I called my vet and brought the stool in about 20-30 minutes later. So that they could ID the parasites and then we could go on with a form of treatment.

My vet is a good vet, and i trust him to help me in treating my snakes for these, and do so correctly.

But ive found that it helps me, when hes talking to me about different methods of treatment, to know what medications/dewormers do what, and the risks associated with them as well and how they get rid of them as well. * like there are some medications that kill tapeworms, and others that dont kill the head*

I have a few sites that i found at home, that explain the different treatment options and what they do, but id like for a more informed opinion on each, if you guys would be so great as to share your experiences.

The girl i spoke to on the phone, who was the one to look through the stool sample and ID the parasites gave me these names. I believe they are related under the group...( im trying to remember exactly how she explained this to me) "Capillaria" and the names of each ( eggs or parasite) were "Eucoleus" and "Boehmi"

From reading up on these, they are related to roundworms, so a treatment for Nematodes( that is what roundworms are related to right?) would be the right course of action? * im reading briefly so pardon if i am missing bits and parts, im still reading so that i better understand what is what, feel free to go into as much detail about this as you like*

I am going to be treating my entire collection, and get fecals from everyone as well, as they come, so that i can know if it is just THIS particular snake, or possibly infected feeders or what have you. In which case, i will have to do something to change and remove the chance of getting them again. Ive never seen them before, in ANY of the snakes stools, * i do make a habit of at least looking* But now ill absolutely be adding regular fecals to the equation as well.

Thanks guys. Always appreciate everyones help with this stuff!

Old 09-25-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle View Post

From reading up on these, they are related to roundworms, so a treatment for Nematodes( that is what roundworms are related to right?) would be the right course of action? * im reading briefly so pardon if i am missing bits and parts, im still reading so that i better understand what is what, feel free to go into as much detail about this as you like*
You have that right.

Best

Old 09-25-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
WingedWolf
Our WC garter was treated for capillaria shortly after we got him. My vet said that capillaria is an indirect life-cycle parasite that MIGHT also be direct life cycle (so careful hygiene is necessary) and that it can be carried by earthworms.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
WingedWolf
Oh, and the treatment was the higher-range dose of panacur (fenbendazole). Not a big problem to get rid of.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWolf View Post
Oh, and the treatment was the higher-range dose of panacur (fenbendazole). Not a big problem to get rid of.
yeah thats exactly what Dan had messaged me about earlier too.

Thanks a bunch for the imput though, i really do appreciate the info. feel free to go all out if you want to talk about the things, as gross as they are! BLEH! I like people to benefit from stuff like this, as it can only help the community as a whole. ( which is why i posted it too, because sometimes i think people are far too afraid to post about whats going on in their collections for fear of scrutiny)

The panacur isnt even all that pricy either, which is a great thing when i intend to do the whole collection.

and 15.00 for a fecal. Rock on Mr Vet man!

Old 09-25-2008, 09:51 PM   #6
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle View Post
15.00 for a fecal. Rock on Mr Vet man!
You suck!

Hope your sunbeam gets well soon.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:55 PM   #7
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
You suck!

Hope your sunbeam gets well soon.
Aww thanks steve ( yeah, i was surprised that it was so cheap, they really do rock though!)

hell be OK. So long as he keeps eating for me, ill be happy.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:21 PM   #8
WingedWolf
I've got a decent microscope on my xmas wish list. I want to do my own floats and screenings, so I can keep an eye on stuff and known when someone needs to be vetted before I pay for it.
Best book on the face of the planet: Klingenberg's "Understanding Reptile Parasites". Not overpriced, uses layman language, and has lots of photos. Even has drug doseage charts for treating various parasite types.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:29 PM   #9
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWolf View Post
I've got a decent microscope on my xmas wish list. I want to do my own floats and screenings, so I can keep an eye on stuff and known when someone needs to be vetted before I pay for it.
Best book on the face of the planet: Klingenberg's "Understanding Reptile Parasites". Not overpriced, uses layman language, and has lots of photos. Even has drug doseage charts for treating various parasite types.
Wow thanks, thats something that id definitely love to have. I do alot of reading, and while the internet is a useful tool, its not too great on the "finding out what parasite this is" front. A book describing different kinds would be absolutely perfect.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Old 09-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #10
The BoidSmith
$8.50
+ $3.99shipping
LOW ITEM PRICE
Used - Like New Seller: jawswo
Rating:97% positive over the past 12 months (786 ratings.) 4173 lifetime ratings.
Shipping: In Stock. Ships from OH, United States See Shipping Rates
Comments: Softcover. 2nd edition. excellent condition.

$12.5 shipped, you can't go wrong

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
boehmi, capillaria, eucoleus, parasites, round worms