I need some advice about mite treatment - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #31
hhmoore
Kelly,
I'm curious why you believe the rat snake died because of the PAM?

Old 06-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #32
SPJ
Did you spray with the snake in the enclosure?
Did you remove the water bowl when spraying?
Did you let it dry and the fumes disappear before putting the snake back in?

I am wondering how you lost a snake by using PAM if you did what the directions state to do.

I have used this product for years and (even sell it now) and have never had a problem with it.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #33
mxracer4life
I would like to know also. What kind of substrate did you spray it on? If it is not 100% dry, it can kill. PAM works great. I had gotten away from it for years, going for "all natural" products. I have since switched back and can't believe I ever quit using it. I take in rescues every once in a while (breaks my heart how some people treat animals - but I hate risking my collection with mites!). I received an albino male from a current member that was LOADED with mites. I used PAM, not 1 mite the day after. I will never use anything else.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #34
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer4life View Post
I would like to know also. What kind of substrate did you spray it on? If it is not 100% dry, it can kill. PAM works great. I had gotten away from it for years, going for "all natural" products. I have since switched back and can't believe I ever quit using it. I take in rescues every once in a while (breaks my heart how some people treat animals - but I hate risking my collection with mites!). Other than rescues, I purchased an albino male from a current member that was LOADED with mites. I used PAM, not 1 mite the day after. I will never use anything else.

Dear MODS - I really would like an "edit" button in the discussion threads, just kidding, I know there is a good reason why there isn't one. Anyway, that wasn't supposed to imply the albino was a rescue.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #35
snowgyre
Jeremy, I have an edit button. I think you need to be a contributor to get one. ;-)

Old 06-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #36
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
Jeremy, I have an edit button. I think you need to be a contributor to get one. ;-)
Ha ha ha! I actually, am, or was, it just went under maybe yesterday or the day before. I will be re-contributing, don't worry. It seems like there never was an "edit" button in the discussion threads if I remember right.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #37
hhmoore
There is an Edit button for Contributor (and higher) level members...has been for as long as I can remember - except for a couple of brief periods when editing was disabled, due to people that decided that simply going away wasn't good enough for them. Obviously, it isn't in the best interest of the site to have people removing all of their posts just because they decide they don't like the site anymore; so, while editing has been restored, there is a time limit on how long one has to edit a post. (Sorry, but I don't know offhand what the limit is...but I want to say it is either two weeks, or two months)

Old 06-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #38
mxracer4life
My membership expiring is throwing me off Harald. I can't remember the last time I wasn't a contributing member. Thanks for all the info.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #39
akaangela
"Before spraying, remove amphibians, water and any desirable of food arachnids or insects from the vicinity. Vapors will kill spiders and insects. Do not use with in the vicinity of any arachnids or amphibians. Do not use until these specimens are removed to another location. Do not apply to heating devices or heating device covers. DO NOT ALLOW REPTILES TO BREATH VAPORS. Do not use in bare cages without substrate. Treated substrate/enclosure will kill any feed insects introduced for at least 2 weeks. Treat or feed any insectivores in separate cage. Do not spray directly in/on eyes, mouth or genitalia of pets. For direct application to tortoise only. Do not apply directly on snakes, lizards or other reptiles. Vacate rooms after treatment and ventilate before reoccupying. Avoid contamination of feed and foodstuffs. Do not allow children or pets to contact treated areas until surfaces are dry."

This is directly from the back of the PAM can. It says "Do not use in bare cages without substrate." What do they mean? Can you use paper towels as your substrate? Do you spray the paper towels with pam and not the bottom of the cage? I bought 3 cans of it (LOL ok I over due things sometimes) so I would always have it on hand. Yes you do want to use it outside or a well ventilated area but that is a given with almost any spray that kills anything.

Also. Can you use it for hatchling snakes? If you have the humidity up high will it wash it off and poison the babies (or any other snake). What if your snake tips over their water when you have your container sprayed? None of this is addressed on the label.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:22 PM   #40
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaangela View Post
"Before spraying, remove amphibians, water and any desirable of food arachnids or insects from the vicinity. Vapors will kill spiders and insects. Do not use with in the vicinity of any arachnids or amphibians. Do not use until these specimens are removed to another location. Do not apply to heating devices or heating device covers. DO NOT ALLOW REPTILES TO BREATH VAPORS. Do not use in bare cages without substrate. Treated substrate/enclosure will kill any feed insects introduced for at least 2 weeks. Treat or feed any insectivores in separate cage. Do not spray directly in/on eyes, mouth or genitalia of pets. For direct application to tortoise only. Do not apply directly on snakes, lizards or other reptiles. Vacate rooms after treatment and ventilate before reoccupying. Avoid contamination of feed and foodstuffs. Do not allow children or pets to contact treated areas until surfaces are dry."

This is directly from the back of the PAM can. It says "Do not use in bare cages without substrate." What do they mean? Can you use paper towels as your substrate? Do you spray the paper towels with pam and not the bottom of the cage? I bought 3 cans of it (LOL ok I over due things sometimes) so I would always have it on hand. Yes you do want to use it outside or a well ventilated area but that is a given with almost any spray that kills anything.

Also. Can you use it for hatchling snakes? If you have the humidity up high will it wash it off and poison the babies (or any other snake). What if your snake tips over their water when you have your container sprayed? None of this is addressed on the label.
For a death to occurr I would assume that somewhere these directions were not followed to a T.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!