Sevin dust for mites? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
phoenix-cry
Sevin dust for mites?

Back in November I had a mite outbreak. I used dishwater soak, washed all the tubs (including snakes without mites) in scalding water and soap, and sprayed the bedding with Provent. Two weeks later I did the whole thing over again.

Well *months* go by with no problems and then BAM! I found a mite yesterday (white snake, easy to spot). WTF? Where did he come from? Grrrrrr. I have a collection of 15 snakes so not a huge collection and I keep a careful watch on them. So I've caught it early, but how did they come back after all this time? No one is infested like you think they would be if I simply hadn't knocked them out the first time. Out of 15 snakes three of them had mites, of the three I found 7 visible mites. I found no mites in the tubs the way I did during the first outbreak.

As a first strike I put olive oil on *everyone* (washed my hands with soap and hot water between each snake).

Anyway, someone told me that Sevin dust 5% under the newspaper is amazing stuff. This stuff for killing insects in gardens. I found people that use in the cornsnake world, but I couldn't find any threads on it here.

So...anyone with Sevin dust experience with ball pythons and hognose on here?

Old 05-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
radera5
Lauren!!!!

Just get PAM (Prevent A Mite) and use as directed. It's not worth trying cheap fixes.
A can or two of PAM and you'll be set.

Stop putting Olive oil and dish soap on your snakes.

Good luck getting them taken care of.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
phoenix-cry
Prevent a Mite. Okay, can do.

When I came on here for the first time with the mites no one mentioned that. Everyone said "soak them, olive oil them, and use Provent"

Wait...is the provent spray the same as prevent a mite? It's a white can with a black top, cost about 20$ you spray it on the bedding not the snake?

Old 05-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
Shadera
Yes, it's Provent. Order an extra can to have on hand.

Do not spray on the snake, or in a room where you keep inverts or phibs. Spray tub and let dry before putting snake back in. You can also spray the bedding if you like, and I'd go ahead and spray the rack down as well.

Good luck!

Old 05-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by radera5 View Post
Just get PAM (Prevent A Mite) and use as directed. It's not worth trying cheap fixes.

Stop putting Olive oil and dish soap on your snakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
Do not spray on the snake, or in a room where you keep inverts or phibs. Spray tub and let dry before putting snake back in. You can also spray the bedding if you like, and I'd go ahead and spray the rack down as well.

just make sure to follow the directions, one treatment is all it has ever taken for me (although I do follow up with a second if dealing with actual mites in Quarantine and not just as a proventative measure).

Spray in an open well ventilated area, let it dry completely - good to go.

good luck!

Old 05-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
phoenix-cry
That is excatly the stuff that I used the first time and I followed it to the letter!

I guess I need to do it again.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
phoenix-cry
I sprayed the papertowels, but it looks like your spraying the tub...can I spray the tub? That sounds like a good plan if that works.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
AbsoluteApril
yeah I spray the tubs, I don't spray the bedding or decorations, just the tub.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
phoenix-cry
Got it! I'll give it another try. I didn't have mites for MONTHS! Where did they come from!! I haven't add anything to that room! They just suddenly sprung out of nowhere again. And my three in quarintine that I just got within the last week show no signs of mites.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
AbsoluteApril
Weird, months is past the life cycle. Did you go to any reptile stores or shows recently? Or anyone visit that may have? Sometimes they can get on clothes and then migrate into the snake room (float on air). Stupid mites!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!