Sevin dust for mites? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #21
j_dunlavy
I had not had mites in my collection since 1998 or 200, something like that and then one day BAM! mites,
Not sure where they came from as I am always very careful, they sometimes do come from the litter you use (barks, mulch etc.); they may hitchhike from any reptile or pet supply source so abundant caution is needed to avoid them.

I have come up with a treatment program that seemed to work quite well so here it is: (note: it helps to have some help if you have a large collection)

1.Prep: spray PAM on papertowels and replacement cage furniture the day before the big cleanup. I did this in my garage and let everything dry overnight.

2. Soak and Cleanup: I soaked all my snakes in warm water and washed EVERYTHING (water dishes, hides, etc.) in the snake room with bleach water and cleaned with denatured alcohol things I could not soak in the bleach. I payed very careful attention to any cracks and crevices when spraying the alcohol. (note; I used denatured alcohol because it evaporates clean and fast, plus it kills bugs relatively quickly.)

3. PAM: I sprayed a light spray of PAM in the clean dry terraria, and around all the stands and on the carpet, cords wall near the outlets and tanks; everywhere.

4. Reptile Spray: While the PAM was drying, I removed the snakes from their soak tubs and dried them off (new papertowel for each snake!). After each snake was dried I spayed it down with "Natural Products Reptile Spray" and wiped the snake off with another papertowel. I wiped down any very small or young snakes with paper towels sprayed with the reptile spray to reduce the amount they were exposed to, rather than a direct spray. I put the snakes in clean tubs after spraying/ wiping.

5. Tank set up: I put down the paper towels I had treated with PAM the day before, about 2-3 layers thick; I put down a top layer of untreated paper towels for any of my very small or very young snakes to minimize their contact with the PAM. I also replaced their furniture with the previously treated furniture. By the time this was done the PAM in the cages was dry.

6. Snakes were returned to their cages.
7. I scrubbed all the water dishes and let them dry in the sun (until the bleach smell was gone) and returned them to their cages.

I kept a very close eye on everybody to be sure their were no adverse reactions and everything was fine. The next morning there were dead mites that escaped the cleaning scattered across the treated paper towels and I have not seen a mite since (a couple months ago). I still have everything on lockdown for another month or so just to be sure I did not miss anything.

I am converting to rack systems from glass terrariums but this treatment would be easy enough to apply to a rack. The main thing is to be as thorough as possible. I have a closed collection and maintain a quarantine system in a different room, I would advise everyone to do the same and do not lapse in your procedures! If you go to an expo, you need to quarantine yourself (change clothes and shower) before you even think of going into your snake room, otherwise...
Remember, mites can happen to anyone, take a few precautions and they can be avoided in your collection

Old 08-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #22
phoenix-cry
I'm 100% certain that the outbreak I had came from me when i went to the reptile show. I didn't even think about the idea that they could be on my clothes or what not. Sigh.

I did find the PAM worked great and I did the paper towel thing as well, and washed all my tubs, all my dishes, everything.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #23
j_dunlavy
Mites are great hitchhikers, I strongly suspect they came from a show I had went to also. I always shower after shows now and treat my clothes as if they were toxic when I get home from an expo now, even if I touch nothing while there.
Mites are kind of an embarrassing issue to have happen but I wanted to share what worked so that it may help others.

I also want to mention that using products not intended to treat reptiles specifically can be highly dangerous. It may not kill a reptile right away but it can cause serious health issues down the road; stick to PAM and Reptile Spray and follow the instructions, always.
I forget the source but another breeder contacted Pro products and was told by their chemist that saying permethrin is like saying soap, it is a generic term; there are many different isomers of it and they are not all the same in their toxicity; also that reptiles are more vulnerable to toxins that mammals etc, are not so that is why it is critical to use something that is approved for use with reptiles.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #24
bcr229
Thanks for the writeup. I found some mites on me as I was leaving an expo once, though I didn't purchase or even touch any reptiles you're right about mites being great hitchhikers.

Fortunately I'd just gone camping and still had a can of Deep Woods Off in the truck, so I sprayed myself with that before I got in and drove home. I couldn't afford at that time to purchase another reptile and I really didn't want to bring anything else home with me either!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!