I am SO MAD!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:52 PM   #1
crotalusadamanteus
I am SO MAD!!!

Stopped into the Siam Zoo today to check on how things been going. Turns out new owners, and LOUSY CARE of ALL the herps in the place.

All the snakes are having bad sheds, water dragons have what looks like MBD, and then they got this little bitty Boa. Smallest thing I ever saw, that just didn't look right at all. Cage was marked S.A. Boa Constrictor. I'm thinking No way. So I ask to look at it, and she says that one just came in, and it's CB.

To my HORROR she pulls out this boa that is on it's last legs. Stomatitis is so bad that the boas mouth was sealed shut, and literally BUBBLES with every breath. I believe this boa is a dwarf of somekind, probably CA, but has a sort of Nic look to him, so thats what I am calling him for now. Yeah, I am a total HEEL. I bought the snake, and rushed it to the Vet since the girl behind the counter was freaking out on My reaction, and couldn't get the owner on the phone to authorize vet care.

I told them I will be back with the proper people, and these husbandry problems better get dealt with. I also offered to help them get it right, and get a better supplier if this is what they are sending them. I am working on who he bought this boa from.

So ME, Mr. Gullible, is the proud owner of $412.42 CA boa, (after vet and meds) that I have no use for, and will probably die on me anyway. I just couldn't let this guy sit there and die though, so I'll give it a go and see what he turns into if he lives. He's 12 inches and 54 grams, and looks to have retained a couple sheds on his head. I have him in a humid tub in the rack in Quarentine. I will start on him in a little while. Both eyes have retained caps.

Anyway, a couple pics while he's softening up so I can work on him and pick in his mouth some. I hate having to do that!

Anyway, he's got some color underneath the bad treatment, I hope he makes it. If he does, I'll update with progress pics.

Thanks for looking,
Rick

Old 12-14-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
Wilomn
I've seen worse looking come back. You're good at this stuff, babying the babies.

Good luck.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:01 PM   #3
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
You're good at this stuff, babying the babies.

Good luck.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
Art Klass
Sometimes responsibility gets dumped on us without permission. Good on you Rick!

Old 12-14-2006, 08:05 PM   #5
Cat_72
Aw jeez, poor guy.....but if anybody can do it, you'll pull him back.

Sounds like life around here, my vet told me that I have "SUCKER" written across my forehead.....but hopefully these folks will be willing to take your offer of assistance and turn things around. If not......let em have it.

Old 12-14-2006, 10:06 PM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
Aw jeez, poor guy.....but if anybody can do it, you'll pull him back.

Sounds like life around here, my vet told me that I have "SUCKER" written across my forehead.....but hopefully these folks will be willing to take your offer of assistance and turn things around. If not......let em have it.
We'll see what happens. I'm a SUCKER, I always have been. I can watch a person bleed to death no problem, but animals........It just aint in me to let 'em suffer. It's weakness of sorts. LOL But one I can live with.

BTW, got him mostly cleaned up, still one retained eye cap I think, and bad stuff all gone from mouth, I think he may be a Honduran. He's got the charcoaly chin, and some color to his belly and sides. I'm gonna ask around some more.

Thanks for the support. The little guys gonna need it.
Rick

Old 12-15-2006, 03:35 AM   #7
Ginger Ambrose
Rick,
Thank goodness for folks like you. That little guy is lucky.
I hope he pulls through for you.

Old 12-15-2006, 06:55 AM   #8
Metachrosis
Looks like a train wreck
Looks like a CA,but I think theres some Hondo stuff as well?

Congrats

M/

Old 12-15-2006, 08:14 AM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
He seems more alert this morning. He turned his head right quick when I flashlighted him a few minutes ago.

I am hoping to see him drink, but being next door, I don't see him full time. I don't want him dehydrating from the Baytril. Will be giving him a pinky tomorrow. Lets hope he takes it and keeps it down.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:21 AM   #10
Tim Cole
Kudos to you...

And am I pleased to see you take action towards those that allowed this to happen. Let us know who the supplier is. We' ll sic Wes on em!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!