Help with sick Ball python- skin thing - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:49 AM   #21
Elfmaze
the vets in the area are being a PITA they will not sell me the clorahexaderm. without seeing the snake and they don't have anyhting open for at least a week

Old 12-19-2006, 11:20 AM   #22
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfmaze
the vets in the area are being a PITA they will not sell me the clorahexaderm. without seeing the snake and they don't have anyhting open for at least a week
The presence of fungal organisms could be a contributing factor, but ulcerative dermatitis (the fancy term for sclae rot) is almost always associated with bacterial infections. The keys to correcting this situation are providing a dry warm environment. I don't think you'll have an issue in continuing the neosporin treatment - just don't glob it on, spread it thinly.

It is important to realize that this is not an infection that is localized to what you see on the skin. These are systemic infections and can quickly lead to septicemia and death.

My advice is to be aggressive - make sure your temps are in line - my concern here would be less about humidity and more about temperature (as in at this point dryer is better than moister). Are the vets that you have called experienced with treating reptiles? I'd schedule an appoinmet now - if you see improvement than you can always cancel. If you don't notice improvement in the next couple of days its time to go to the vet and get systemic antibiotics.

Chlorhexidine diacetate (Nolvasan) could be used as an adjunct in cleaning the skin - it is available from some pet supply stores or stores that stock livestock care products.

See here for more info: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in.../bc/171407.htm

***Disclaimer - I am not a vet.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:32 AM   #23
Elfmaze
I though i had heard of this before its a chlorohexadine salt! I have that stuff for my teeth, its called PerioGard. Its not quite the same though i have Clorhexadine Glucconate. its close but the chemical structure is C22H30Cl2N10*2C6H2O7 instead of C22H30Cl2N10*(C2H4O2)2. I can also get the Glucconate in a spray for at the vets for dogs with skin problems. Will that work?

Old 12-19-2006, 11:41 AM   #24
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfmaze
I though i had heard of this before its a chlorohexadine salt! I have that stuff for my teeth, its called PerioGard. Its not quite the same though i have Clorhexadine Glucconate. its close but the chemical structure is C22H30Cl2N10*2C6H2O7 instead of C22H30Cl2N10*(C2H4O2)2. I can also get the Glucconate in a spray for at the vets for dogs with skin problems. Will that work?
Chlorhexidine gluconate should work also.

See here for info: http://www.emea.eu.int/pdfs/vet/mrls/010796en.pdf

Old 12-19-2006, 12:25 PM   #25
kellysballs
Chlorhexiderm is an antimicrobial liquid that you put onto the wounds of pets to keep them from getting infected. It's sort of like neosporin for pets, except you basically flood the area with the liquid. It can kill off many forms of bacteria, fungus, viruses, and yeast

This is what I used it was given to me by my vet

Old 12-19-2006, 03:35 PM   #26
Elfmaze
yeah but my vets aren't participating, the chlorohexadine is the same thing, in this application its to kill gum line bacteria. You're chlorohexaderm what concintration is it? i have .12% should i further dilute that? and just wipe down his whole belly with it?

Old 12-19-2006, 11:29 PM   #27
kellysballs
I just read my bottle and it does not have a percentage on it but if you go to this web site this looks like pre mixed bottles
http://petmarket.stores.yahoo.net/chfldvm.html
If you are not having any luck you could try this. I dont think it could hurt while you are waiting to see the vet.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:49 PM   #28
Double "D" Reptiles
Definite scale rot. Treat as directed with newspaper or butcher paper as the substrate and change daily. Raise temps on warm end to 88 to 92 degrees with plenty of fresh water available on the cooler end (not cooler than 82 degrees) and change substrate more than once a day if it becomes wet due to sloshed water from soaking or anything (may want to give/take water a couple times a day to avoid this depending upon how active BP is and how receptive to hands rummaging around the enclosure.

Use neosporin (triple antibiotic ointment) or the Chlorhexidine. Another possible might be an antifungal foot powder, ointment or spray (aggressive action as mentioned but many are just different concentrations and ingredients the same just concentrated different between foot care and feminine care.)

Change should be noticeable after the shed and will give you a good indication of severity of infection in relation to the new underlying scales. Had one case that took long-term care and 3 or 4 sheds to get cleared up completely even though progress was noticeable with each progressive shed. Watch to make certain that sores do not develop and/or open into oozing or bleeding wounds as it would be a sign that it is getting worse instead of better.

Basically just follow all the advice previously given.

Now, as for the cage. Clean it out, load it up and take it to a gas station or tire shop that you're friendly with and use their air chuck for blowing things out. Get the sawdust and sanding dust out as much as possible this way. Then take it home and begin sealing it up. First, fill in any air gaps that may have developed after you've allowed it to dry for a couple of days in the lowest humidity possible. Then apply coats of polyurethane clear sealer in thin coats. Allow each coat to dry completely and use a 180 grit or finer sandpaper to clear any burrs that may develop before applying the next coat. Apply a minimum of 3 coats this way. If you have access to a Low pressure spray gun you can use this effectively as well. Let the cage air out afterwards for at least a week and 2 or 3 weeks will only help to remove any lasting fumes. Also, during this curing time it isn't a bad idea to apply a heat source to simulate the conditions under which your cage will be used. If keeping animals at 86 degrees, apply heat up to 96 degrees just for good measure.

Be sure that air circulation will be possible even after the cage is put into use, not only for the animals but for any residual fumes that may still be lurking. U may have been in a new home with brand new cabinetry and noticed that even a month after being installed, with nobody living in the home, that the cabinets sometimes still have a lingering odor about them from the finishes commonly used. Same thing applies here and regular/steady ventilation will assist in the total dissipation of these fumes.

If I can be of any assistance, especially with the cage issue since UR using wood, don't hesitate to drop me an e-mail or a PM on here. BTW, for everyone's future reference, when choosing woods for caging, avoid Cedar like the plague, pine like a cold or the flu, avoid particle board and unlaminated melamine...lean more heavily towards maple, birch and other hard woods. Think of the woodland areas where you might herp hunt and the trees associated with these areas. Also, think of the amount of glues and other chemicals involved in the processes used to produce some composite wood products as these linger undetectable to us but can cause severe (and sometimes fatal) reactions to our animals.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:01 AM   #29
Elfmaze
OK Sheds done

He finally shed for me last night. looks 90% better, still a few little spots though. He also made one heck of a mess of his enclosure. i had a felling this was going to be the night so i put his rock water dish in there gave him some water and went to work.

Pretty much a perfect shed, though the skin got wet and ripped alon gthe way there was only one small patch he didn't get off. hes quite spunky this morning when i was checking him out, hence why the pics are a little blurry.

Looks like there are still a few spots, his vent cleared up nively though still may be a little swolen. And there are just a few "dimples" in regular intervals down his center portion. Some light discoloration still exists in a few spots and he nicked a wound on his head.

Do you think this is something he'll recover from or does he need to see a vet?
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2006, 07:55 AM   #30
kellysballs
If by the time the vet has an opening your snake still has these sores I would take him in and create a rapport with the vet. That way he/she can confirm the diagnosis and in the future if you need medicine for the snake you may be able to get them with out paying for the office visit.

Just a thought. Thats what I did and I worked out well for me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!