Seminal Plug issue! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
chimpkin
Seminal Plug issue!

I have a large normal leopard gecko that isn't a breeder. He is just a pet i've had for several years now. He appears to be having a problem with seminal plugs. I guess I didn't catch it early enough and it is starting to swell. I put a little bit on neosporin on there to keep it moist. What is the best way to help him out with that. He is still eating and pooping regularly.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:46 PM   #2
geckogrl6
could we get a pic? or maybe at least a better description of what you are looking at?

Old 10-27-2008, 10:11 PM   #3
Cat_72
I'm guessing that Shayne is thinking that it's a prolapsed hemipene.

I don't have any personal experience dealing with these, and have seen eveything from honey to Preparation H suggested as treatment, but am thinking a vet visit ASAP is going to be the best route. Hopefully someone with some experience can help her out til she can get him in.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:11 PM   #4
chimpkin
No it isn't a prolapse. It's a sperm plug. Sometimes sperm can build up and create a gross waxy plug. Most of the time an animal can just pass it but sometimes they can get stuck and build up and can cause swelling in the area. There is nothing sticking out of his vent. He just has a bulge on one side and when you pull the skin back you can see it is kind of a waxy blockage.

What is the best way to remove that? I don't think he is going to pass it on his own but I have been putting Neo. on there and tonight I gave him a soak and that loosened it up a bit. I was able to remove a little but not all. Any suggestions?

I wouldn't have an issue with taking him to the vet but usually my local vet just picks up a book to read on what to do. And many times that is old or outdated information.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:03 PM   #5
geckogrl6
I'm not clear whether this is an actual sperm plug, which would be coming from the cloaca, or a build up of the waxy stuff, which would coming out of a pore. Either way, I would scrap the neosporin until it clears, and focus on keeping the area moist and clean. Put him on paper towels, kept damp, and maybe occasional warm soaks. Once the blockage (whatever it is) is gone then resume the neo treatment. Of course, if it an actual sperm plug, you shouldn't need to put any neo inside the cloaca. I've never had a problem removing a sperm plug, they seem to come out pretty easy. I have had a guy where the waxy substance built up and hardened, causing the pore itself to become inflamed. That too came out, but not as easy as pulling a plug.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
chimpkin
I am starting to think it isn't the plug after all. I gave him a warm soak the other night and some of it came out but there is still a larger mass. I'm not sure if it will eventually go away or not. I have been cleaning it with chlorhexadine. Last night he was getting ready to shed so I am going to give him warm soaks for the next few nights and see how it goes then make a vet appointment if it doesn't clear up.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!