why do you keep venomous critters??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-31-2004, 01:57 PM   #1
hydrogen cricket
Question why do you keep venomous critters???

what was it that first made you want to keep an animal that could end your life in secs-mins if no help arrives soon???

was it:

a] because you wanted something truly exotic;

b] that you wanted to have something that no one else would dare consider getting;

c] gotten to have a learning experience or a greater respect for the animal;

d] just to show that you have balls;

e] other

Old 12-31-2004, 06:04 PM   #2
Beyond the Web
e] OTHER: Educational purposes.

Old 12-31-2004, 06:19 PM   #3
psilocybe
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogen cricket
what was it that first made you want to keep an animal that could end your life in secs-mins if no help arrives soon???

was it:

b] that you wanted to have something that no one else would dare consider getting;

e] other

I would have to choose "E", for other. For one, it is unlikely that even the most venomous of snakes could end your life in "seconds or minutes" (unless of course you go into anaphylactic shock, but this is a different story). Typically venom can take hours or even days before death becomes a possible reality without medical intervention. There are exceptions, i.e. mambas, taipans, king cobras, etc. that can kill you in less than an hour, but the vast majority of even seriously venomous snakes are UNLIKELY to kill you if you get immediate medical attention. I have always personally viewed large constrictors like burms and retics as having the potential to be more dangerous than even a seriously venomous snake, simply because CONSTRICTION can and will kill you in a few minutes, and there is no antidote for it...plus, if you get bitten by a hot, you can call for help, have someone drive you to the hospital, or in some cases even take yourself. If no one is around when you get wrapped by a constrictor, say goodbye, you are dead. Period.

I'm certainly not saying anything bad about large constrictors, most captives are rather docile and easy to work with, and never really misbehave, however, any smart large-constrictor owner will NEVER get complacent around their snake. Same goes for venomous, many specimens of even the deadliest of venomous snakes might appear to be puppy dog tame (gaboons are a great example). They can be rather accomodating to handling and even seem fit to be freehandled safely...but that is where the accident happens. Complacency is the SWORN ENEMY of the venomous keeper.

My reason for getting into venomous: Venomous species comprise some of the most interesting and challenging (not necessarily meaning dangerous) reptiles you can keep. If you feel you are ready, and are a responsible adult who knows what you can and cannot get away with, know your own physical limitations regarding handling, and are patient and willing to learn, I see no reason why one shouldn't get into venomous.

Sure there are risks involved, and death is a likely possibility with some species if an effective emergency protocol is not utilized immediately. That is why a responsible keeper has said protocols in his "bite book", and in the case of a bite, this protocol is immediately enacted. Having a reliable source of A/V for any exotic species (preferably on the keepers property) is a must.

Many people enjoy hobbies involving serious injury or death as a possibility: skydivers, base jumpers, mountain climbers, race car drivers, trapeze artists, weight lifters, etc. etc. etc. on into obliveon. The question to answer before choosing said hobby is: Am I willing to accept the risk of an accident, and what will I do about it if it happens?

Old 12-31-2004, 08:46 PM   #4
Lonermon
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogen cricket

was it:

e] other
i would say c and e in my case . i currently own but do not possess a florida cottonmouth.its being boarded till i get my venemous license . Unlike alot of people , i dont buy many snakes . i prefer to catch my own . and as ther are some venemous snakes in my area , and i have been catching both venemous and non venemous all my life . but now . i want to be able to legally catch and possess any snake that i catch ( with restrictions on endangered snakes of course) . At this time i have no desire to own the any of the more deadly snakes ,unless i happen to catch one . :scatter:

Old 12-31-2004, 08:50 PM   #5
Glenn Bartley
Your question seems as it could be quite the troll. That is because, as I see it, you offer some rather ludicrous choices to venomous keepers from which to choose. I hope you were not trolling, but based upon your questions I wonder, is that how YOU view keeping venomous species?

Let me ask you a few questions based on your own post, which I hope you will answer. I offer my own replies to your questions and ideas just below my questions for you.

1) Do you think they all KILL if you are bitten by them?

If so you are wrong. Many venoms are not lethal to humans. Even those that can kill do not always do so, even without treatment, although if bitten by a venomous species you should seek medical attention as soon as possible.

2) Do you truly believe that even all of the deadly ones kill within SECONDS OR MINUTES?

If you believe so, let me just say: No way. Very few sanke venoms could kill an adult human, in fair to good health, within minutes, and none that I know of within seconds.

3) Do you consider even native species of venomous snakes to be EXOTIC?

Maybe we have a different idea of what comprises exotic. Exotics are species from abroad or, they are species that are strikingly different or unusual from the norm. Venomous species native to the US may be strikingly beautiful but certainly not exotic in the sense of strikingly unusual as they are quite widespread and fairly common throughout the USA.

4) Do you imagine that of all the venomous species of snakes in the world there is even one that only one person would consider keeping because no one else would dare to keep it?

Your question along these lines really made me laugh. If there is a snake out there that can be had in numbers greater than one, then you can bet more than one person is keeping them regardless of how venomous they may be.

5) Do you think women who keep venomous species have BALLS (even figuratively)? Do you for a minute believe that keeping venomous species is done just to show someone has courage?

I have never kept any animal to show my courage. Courage, real courage is shown in other ways. As to your question about the balls thing: Maybe jerks who want to show they are brave keep hot snakes as a way to show courage.

6) Do you think that offering your after the fact choice:
Quote:
c] gotten to have a learning experience or a greater respect for the animal
or that your choice of
Quote:
e] other
makes your other rather offensive choices easier to take for the serious herp keeper? (see below)

I currently keep one species that is somewhat venomous. It cannot kill me (unless I was somehow allergic to it), not in seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months or years. I, for a very short time, kept a couple of Rattle snakes. I have also kept scorpions, tarantulas. The scorpions could have killed me if I had been stung by them. The tarantulas may have hurt if I had been bitten. I did not keep them for any of the reasons you mentioned. I kept them all because of my interests and affection of animal keeping. I often keep new species that are new to my collection. This is a natural progression for many who keep small creatures like tropical fish, small mammals, herps, insects, and so forth. Even though I sort of specialize in herps (reptiles and amphibians) I have broad interests in that specilization, and have kept many different species of herps over the years. variety is the spice of life, and is also the spice of herp keeping. It certainly keeps the hobby from getting boring.

I do gain knowledge and respect for animals after keeping them, but I have a fairly good deal of it before I keep any of them. To keep any animal, venemous or nonvenomous would be somewhat foolish without a good deal of knowledge about the animal itself and about the methods of keeping it. There are some exceptions to this but as a rule you it is much better to have lots of knowledge about an animal before keeping one.

I have never kept snakes, or other animals, of any kind to show myself as being brave.

Happy New year,
Glenn B

Old 12-31-2004, 08:55 PM   #6
Mustangrde1
Quote:
A Ratsnake in California is as truly exotic as a Cobra in Florida. So nope not that one.

Quote:
Errr Anyone can and oftend does get them if they can afford it so nope not that one.

Quote:
That one has some to do with it. a love of learning and the respect for the animal is what drives you to get that species inparticular vs another. But nope not that one entirely.

Quote:
Good lord I have teenagers and am still alive so I know i got balls to put up with them lol. so nope not that one.

Quote:
e] other
BING BING BING THAT ONE.

I keep and work with them because they are some of the worlds most challenging and fasinating animals. they require tons of learning and a constant strive to better ones self. They challenge you to be better at everything in regard to husbandry and safety. And because I love them.

Big constrictors can kill . horses can kill , dogs kill , cars kill. I honestly se it as no more dangerous then driving a car or riding a horse. So long as you have the proper respect and knowledge. I do not spend my life worrying about what can or might kill me or i would live in a bubble.

Old 12-31-2004, 09:13 PM   #7
Rattlesnake
I also will have to go with the choice of 'E' other--I have a particular interest in the research that is currently underway using snake venoms for many experimental aids and treatments for illness. The possibilities of what may yet be discovered with venom are almost endless.

Old 12-31-2004, 09:54 PM   #8
hydrogen cricket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bartley
Your question seems as it could be quite the troll. That is because, as I see it, you offer some rather ludicrous choices to venomous keepers from which to choose. I hope you were not trolling, but based upon your questions I wonder, is that how YOU view keeping venomous species?

Let me ask you a few questions based on your own post, which I hope you will answer. I offer my own replies to your questions and ideas just below my questions for you.

1) Do you think they all KILL if you are bitten by them?

If so you are wrong. Many venoms are not lethal to humans. Even those that can kill do not always do so, even without treatment, although if bitten by a venomous species you should seek medical attention as soon as possible.

2) Do you truly believe that even all of the deadly ones kill within SECONDS OR MINUTES?

If you believe so, let me just say: No way. Very few sanke venoms could kill an adult human, in fair to good health, within minutes, and none that I know of within seconds.

3) Do you consider even native species of venomous snakes to be EXOTIC?

Maybe we have a different idea of what comprises exotic. Exotics are species from abroad or, they are species that are strikingly different or unusual from the norm. Venomous species native to the US may be strikingly beautiful but certainly not exotic in the sense of strikingly unusual as they are quite widespread and fairly common throughout the USA.

4) Do you imagine that of all the venomous species of snakes in the world there is even one that only one person would consider keeping because no one else would dare to keep it?

Your question along these lines really made me laugh. If there is a snake out there that can be had in numbers greater than one, then you can bet more than one person is keeping them regardless of how venomous they may be.

5) Do you think women who keep venomous species have BALLS (even figuratively)? Do you for a minute believe that keeping venomous species is done just to show someone has courage?

I have never kept any animal to show my courage. Courage, real courage is shown in other ways. As to your question about the balls thing: Maybe jerks who want to show they are brave keep hot snakes as a way to show courage.

6) Do you think that offering your after the fact choice: or that your choice of makes your other rather offensive choices easier to take for the serious herp keeper? (see below)

I currently keep one species that is somewhat venomous. It cannot kill me (unless I was somehow allergic to it), not in seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months or years. I, for a very short time, kept a couple of Rattle snakes. I have also kept scorpions, tarantulas. The scorpions could have killed me if I had been stung by them. The tarantulas may have hurt if I had been bitten. I did not keep them for any of the reasons you mentioned. I kept them all because of my interests and affection of animal keeping. I often keep new species that are new to my collection. This is a natural progression for many who keep small creatures like tropical fish, small mammals, herps, insects, and so forth. Even though I sort of specialize in herps (reptiles and amphibians) I have broad interests in that specilization, and have kept many different species of herps over the years. variety is the spice of life, and is also the spice of herp keeping. It certainly keeps the hobby from getting boring.

I do gain knowledge and respect for animals after keeping them, but I have a fairly good deal of it before I keep any of them. To keep any animal, venemous or nonvenomous would be somewhat foolish without a good deal of knowledge about the animal itself and about the methods of keeping it. There are some exceptions to this but as a rule you it is much better to have lots of knowledge about an animal before keeping one.

I have never kept snakes, or other animals, of any kind to show myself as being brave.

Happy New year,
Glenn B

a] why did you ask me q's if you're going to answer them yourself???

b] the q's weren't offensive (seeing as you're the only one who said they are).

c] i'm not here to ask q's and then hold back my tongue---what's the point of doing that??? i simply created a list of q's that i coould immediately think of, and then i added the "other" option because not everyone is going to fall into one of the choices i have placed before you.

d] if i were trolling, then i would've been a bitch from the beginning and started to call you peeps some rahter obscure names.

anywho...to your q's:

<i>1) Do you think they all KILL if you are bitten by them?</i>

of course not; just as how some spiders have "medically significant" venom and how some will prefer to "dry-bite" than waste venom, i would obviously think the same would aply to serpents as well.

<i>2) Do you truly believe that even all of the deadly ones kill within SECONDS OR MINUTES?</i>

again, no. i merely put that there because some venoms are known to work faster than others. if they (or any creature) could kill within seconds, then i won't think that many of you would keep them, or that there would be much tighter laws on petkeeping.

<i>3) Do you consider even native species of venomous snakes to be EXOTIC?</i>

indeed, we do have a different definition of exotic. what i consider to be exotic are those pets that aren't commonly found in homes. here in stupid new york for example (about which i will make a topic in hell about it), all of the creatures on these boards are illegal and are therefore considered to be exotic. even now there is some stupid law or whatever that says that there will be a $1000 fine imposed on anyone who has these creatures within the confines of there homes. unlike most other states, alot of animals that you guys have natively would net us some heavy fines (or probably even jail time) for just haivng them around. there is even one about turtles having to be either greater than 4" or they're a no. now that is what i consider exotic.

<i>4) Do you imagine that of all the venomous species of snakes in the world there is even one that only one person would consider keeping because no one else would dare to keep it?</i>

i sorta understand this q---yes there are some peeps who will keep a certain kind of animal just because. they have no interest in the creature other than to say that they can have one.

<i>5) Do you think women who keep venomous species have BALLS (even figuratively)? Do you for a minute believe that keeping venomous species is done just to show someone has courage?</i>

just as you laughed at my previous q, i have to giggle at this one. it seems like you either don't get out much or you haven't been around humans too long. just like the answer i gave you above, some peeps will go and get a rattler or k.cobra or other super-lethal species just to show that they can have one or to show how "manly" they are. it's the same thing as seeing guys going and buying a hayabusa when they know they can't even handle an sv650s. just trying to see who has the bigger dick. as for women having balls---well, there's alotta freaky **** on this har' internet!!!

<i>6) Do you think that offering your after the fact choice: or that your choice of makes your other rather offensive choices easier to take for the serious herp keeper?</i>

like i said when i first composed this post---you seem to be the only one who finds them offensive, and like i said before, i didn't come here to please anyone. lots of peeps will fall into the other choices i have there so that's why they are there. you can't always have icing without the hot sauce.

as for me, i've had lots of pets before---cats, skinks, worm snakes, anoles, mantids, dogs, bats, spiders, fireflies, butterflies, and birds. the reason i'm planing to get a serpent now (the worm was temp) is because i've never had one before and i'm very eager to have the experience. i just wanted to see what are the reasons for everyone else getting one. just because you're a good guy (just assuming---i hate that word) with good intentions for your pets and yourself, doesn't mean that there aren't alotta dicks out there that fall inches short of the mark.

i, just like you, like to do all of my homework before evening dreaming of the wonderful times me and my pet(s) will have. granted that most of the aforemention creatures were had in my youth without any experience, i guarantee you that they were treated with the utmost repsect because i like to switch positions with them and see how i would feel if i were to do something wrong to them.

as for keeping venomous species for myself, that is something that i'd prefer to leave to the experts and the brave. me---i'm just a little chicken-****!!!

Old 12-31-2004, 10:08 PM   #9
snakegetters
I agree that some people seem to be keeping venomous snakes for the wrong reasons, and they are generally the ones who make the news because they did something stupid to show off and got tagged.

There are a lot of reasons I keep venomous. Professionally I maintain animals for research and education, focusing primarily on the veterinary needs of venomous species. Personally, why did I choose this career path? It boils down to the fact that I love and respect these magnificent animals very much, and I feel privileged to be able to serve their needs and care for them. Living, feeling animals should never be toys or props for anyone's ego. They deserve quality care and humane husbandry practices.

I do not think of myself as a master of snakes, but rather more of a servant. It is not me who is special because I keep venomous snakes, but the snakes themselves who are special and worthy of every effort I can make to give them good care. They are amazing animals, and in my opinion well worth the time it takes to learn the professional safety skills required to work with them.

As another poster already pointed out, I have no balls. LOL Working with snakes is definitely not about macho for me, nor for any other mature keeper I know regardless of their gender. I think it is important to maintain a professional attitude and demeanor when working with venomous snakes. Macho behavior has absolutely no place in this field, as it is not only risky for the keepers but inhumane and needlessly stressful for the animals as well.

Old 01-01-2005, 12:25 AM   #10
Beyond the Web
I couldn't help to keep my mouth shut, so... let me be the first to tell you:

Quote:
like i said when i first composed this post---you seem to be the only one who finds them offensive, and like i said before, i didn't come here to please anyone. lots of peeps will fall into the other choices i have there so that's why they are there. you can't always have icing without the hot sauce.
... welcome to FaunaClassifieds!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!