My future in boa breeding-any advice? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
bytheshore1
My future in boa breeding-any advice?

I have kept boas for many years now and the boa species has always been one of my favorites. Last year I produced some of the nicest Sunsets that I have see-even if I am saying so myself. I have several other different boa projects going including Genetic Stripe, Different Sunsets, Hog islands, Dumerils, and 2 of the most purple Surinams anybody has seen. My question is what will be affected by the proposed law changes and how long before it will be enacted? Will all boas constrictors be listed? This list could be very long. Or is it, at this time, boa constrictor constrictor only? Too many to list but major species or subspecies as well? I know until it is posted that we might not know all but your thoughts on this and how it will affect us as small breeders go would be interesting and hopefully help. Thanks and please lets keep up the fight!

Old 02-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
hhmoore
It's probably changed by now (I haven't read the updates), but it was proposed to include the constrictor species - which would mean BCC, BCI, BCO, BCA, BCL, etc. Dumerils are a different species, and, accordingly, aren't included.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
bytheshore1
Yea Thats what I was thinking myself. I, like many, just dont even know what the next step is. Do I breed this coming year? Will i even have any interest in these gorgeous reptiles? Can i still sell out of state or will everything require a permit? This will kill the boa hobby as it has killed the big python hobby. Anybody that loves their boas and that is notting sweating over this and thinking it will just go away is daydreaming. They want more money and control. Talk about frustrating!

Old 02-21-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
BryonsBoas
We are still breeding ours. We understand that if it passes our market gets cut short drastically but we still choose to shoot for our end result project animals. If I'm going to have an expensive pet, I want it to be the ultimate.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
bytheshore1
Thats how I feel. Just thinking there is gonna be alot of super nice pets out there.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:15 AM   #6
Shadera
The bill as written would ban interstate transport. You would not be able to sell animals outside your state without committing a felony.

I suggest you join an organization like USARK, pijac or natpet, and get out there and fight with the rest of us. Sign up for the USARK newsletter, and get email updates on what's happening with this legislation.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:19 AM   #7
Metachrosis
gonna be alot of felons pretty soon

Old 02-23-2010, 09:34 AM   #8
mxracer4life
I am staying positive about it. I am breeding just like a normal year. I heard from a friend that the ultimate goal for this bill is to lead into forcing us to by vender permits, so the government can get some of our herp money, thus leading to being audited for taxes etc. That they don't really want to BAN theses species, that this is just there first step, kinda like, putting everything on the table untill an agreement is met, that it all leads to the money part of it. I don't know to believe it or not, but who knows!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
bytheshore1
I do belive that it is about money. They lost there federal funds for the parks in florida and this is a start to making money. I saw a news story where they were charging tourists to see the pythons in south florida in one of the parks.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis View Post
gonna be alot of felons pretty soon
Yeah, no doubt. I'll tell you straight, if I decide to move to another state, and I do plan on it, ain't a law they could create that would make me abandon my Boas because I had to relocate. They'd ALL come with me, and the world can think what they want about it.

But, lets just hope for the best. USARK is getting a lot of support, and has done well speaking for us so far. Maybe there will be some on the committe floor that will have some common sense. We also have people like BW Smith on our side, and he helped a bunch in offering alternate proposals on other matters.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!