New to breeding: Any advice - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-18-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
deaconce
New to breeding: Any advice

So, next season will be my first breeding season and I just wanted to know if any of the veterans had any advice they would like to share.

I've been buying up snakes this year in order to be ready for next season. So, I have the following going into next season:
1.0 Pastel
1.0 Pinstripe
1.0 Normal (my daughters pet, lol)
1.0 100% Het Albino

0.10 Normals
0.1 Pastel
0.1 100% Het Albino

And along the way I plan on picking up a couple more morphs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, I have a couple of picky eaters that I need advice on.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
dustinNMpythons
That's a lot of normals, I would have advised you to use that valuable cage space on morphs. for the price of 10 normals you could have got 3 or more juvenile morphs that would be ready next season. Its all good though you can replace the normals with morphs as you get them and you learn as you go. You'll figure it out and just ask any specific questions you may have on here and they will get answered. For picky eaters I just usually let them eat whatever they want and they usually come around. Sometimes that means feeding a mouse every couple days for some of them. Remember you cater to your ball pythons because they are the prima donna's lol!

Old 10-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
MrBig
Def have to agree with the whole Prima Donna statement. Some will be picky feeders all their life, others start slow and gain speed, and some are just monsters that would eat a hamburger if you threw it in. Best of luck. I agree slim down on the normals unless you plan to buy a male that is super expensive and worth putting to that many normals, with the males listed you will have a hard time selling off the large amount of pastels and pinstripes you produce.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
dustinNMpythons
plus that's why certain morphs have dropped rediculously. If you have people producing with normals it floods the market with single and at max double gene morphs (haven't heard of anyone producing triples using normals) so by doing this you create way too much supply for the demand and in turn end up wholesaling them and dropping the price for that specific market. By breeding morph to morph you get a nice ratio of single double triple on up and don't flood the market with one specific gene.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
deaconce
Yeah, I understand about rack space. Lol, considering I already have the following reptile breeding projects

3.3 Bearded dragons
2.3 Leopard Geckos
1.1 Three Toed Box turtles
2.1 Red Eared Sliders
1.2 Green Anoles
1.1 Med. Geckos

So, the normals I got at an awesome price that couldn't pass up. The plan is to pick a spider male and a cinnamon malem

Also, the plan is to hold back the majority of the females from season 1 to use for future seasons. But, after season two I would reduce the amount of normals. .

Old 10-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
deaconce
Well, the plan is to hold back all my morph females and some of the morph males so that in the next seasons I will be breeding morph to morph instead of having too many of one morph. So in reality I would be selling 25%-30% of my babies. I wouldn't do anything to harm the market.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
dustinNMpythons
lol I'm not saying you would harm the market, that's rediculous to think a single person would impact the market, it's a joint effect from everyone who breeds but I do think using normals saturates the market overall. Realistically not all of them will produce and most will have around 5 or 6 eggs with 50% at best being the morph and the others normal so your 10 normals aren't going to harm the market especially since your holding back your females. but if everyone uses normals to mass produce morphs to put on the market thats when it becomes a problem and I originally didn't know you were holding some back.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
deaconce
Ok. Yeah, the plan is to hold them back for the first two season or trade some for other morphs. That's reason I picked dom or co-dom to start with, being that would get around half morphs and half normals. I have a couple places to wholesale the normals to. Thanks.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #9
deaconce
The only thing is I haven't decided if I'm going for a super pastel or a lemonblast. Any thoughts?

Old 10-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
dustinNMpythons
I'd go lemonblast in hopes of making more blasts including a female to hold back. a super pastel is going to make all pastels which are almost like buying normals at this point. Just my .02 on it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!