Nile monitor question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-29-2017, 10:41 PM   #1
marina322
Nile monitor question

Hi everyone, quick question, do nile monitor hatchlings mellow out at all when they get older? I know that they have a tendency to be aggressive all their lives but does their temperament get less aggressive at all as they get older? Just curious. Thanks.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:39 AM   #2
AdamHess512
Nile Monitors have a tendency to stay aggressive, now they're are plenty of reports of tame Nile's but you have to remember, most of those are by people whose job it is to raise them. If you spend enough time with them, they will calm down, but not otherwise

TL;DR Handle them and they will, if you don't they won't

Old 05-30-2017, 10:50 AM   #3
marina322
To adamhess,
So I hope I'm on the right track. I have a hatchling nile and his temperament seems nicer than most. I don't handle him, I actually don't ever plan to and that's ok with me. I started tong feeding, now I'm hand feeding. He doesn't run away at all when he sees me because I make sure I move very slow so he can see every move I make. He is in an enclosure in his own room that only I go into. I put socks that I have worn into his cage so he can get use to my smell and some time he lays under one. He has come up to me a few times since I had him so I hope I'm on the right track I guess only time will tell. Do u think I am doing things right or can I improve? Like I said before I don't plan on him ever being tame enough to hold him but I would like him to not see me as a threat and be able to walk around me when he gets older.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:49 PM   #4
AdamHess512
If you don't want to hold him then I suppose you are doing everything correctly. I would handle him once a month because you never know when you are going to have to move him.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:49 PM   #5
DNAexotics
Classifieds is not really the place for this, but the short answer is some will some won't and handling often odd more damaging then helping. I have several niloticus that are very calm and acclimated and several that aren't and none get handled. Even my cbb babies have distinct personalities. Their psyche is complex and cannot be answered in this short response. If youd like more info you can pm me as to not continue to detract from the classifieds.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:53 PM   #6
Clemc84
You seem to be on the right path! I have had a few niles and they all seem to calm down for me once they get to be 3-4 foot. They are the most beautiful of all the monitors but that's just my opinion! Good luck!!

Old 06-02-2017, 06:22 PM   #7
marina322
Dnaexotics yes I agree I shouldn't have posted in the classifieds, I'm still pretty new here and can't seem to figure out how to post in the discussion section. Probably really obvious but can't seem to figure it out lol.
Clemc yes they are beautiful and I hope u r right. Thanks.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:02 AM   #8
nickolasanastasiou
Moved this to the discussion section.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:58 PM   #9
marina322
^^^ thank you!

Old 06-05-2017, 07:29 PM   #10
biggzs716
Any monitor lizard can be tamed but just remember even though it was captive breed dose not mean its blood line is not wild.All monitors lizards have predator instincts but with a lot of care and trust they can become your best friend...

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
monitor, nile monitor