Blocking Ledge Above Doors In Vision Cage - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:03 AM   #1
thesarge2014
Blocking Ledge Above Doors In Vision Cage

I would like to block off the ledge inside a Vision cage that runs above the doors. I want to prevent snakes from getting up into that ledge. What would be the best way to do this? I thank you for your help.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:03 PM   #2
Randall Turner
I've seen people cut wood to fit (which could be a pain with the ends of the pop rivets holding the tracks in place) and also seen people use spray foam. I wouldn't be inclined to use the spray foam method since it'd be difficult to seal the porous surface to keep it from getting gross down the road. What makes you want to block the ledge off? One of my arabesque boas regularly climbs up on the ledge and hangs out, but it doesn't pose a problem for me.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:37 PM   #3
Donald C
I've seen people use a packing foam. Nice and compressible, so you can make it fit, and it would expand out and the pressure would keep it in place (if the snake doesn't somehow knock it out).

One reason to do this, that I've seen, is for venomous snakes. Makes it a little safer to work in the cage as the animal isn't scrunched up out of sight on that ledge.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:09 PM   #4
Randall Turner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald C View Post
One reason to do this, that I've seen, is for venomous snakes. Makes it a little safer to work in the cage as the animal isn't scrunched up out of sight on that ledge.
I can understand that benefit for keeping hots where you can see and work with them.

The packing foam sounds like a reasonably effective method, could easily be ripped out and replaced every now and then to keep it from getting nasty as well.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:50 PM   #5
thesarge2014
Thanks for the replies and good suggestions. In the past I heard of blocking off the ledge with PVC pipe or a large wooden dowel rod but wonder about that due to the rivets. Maybe the right size rod can be wedged in there.

My reason is I have a smaller new python that is just staying up inside the ledge. I want him to be down in the cage to get more acclimated to it. Also for taming the snake can feel more cornered when you reach up into the ledge to take him out. Though rare it has happened that snakes falling off that ledge and catching their heads at the end of the ledge and breaking their necks. I have seen some of mine fall off the ledge and lately the thought of that bothers me. Vision cages are wonderful but they do have some negative aspects.

Bill

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!