Breeding Advice - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-04-2006, 06:56 AM   #1
woodini254
Breeding Advice

I have a confirmed trio of 2:1 Coastal Rosy Boa's, they have been together since they came out of brumation in March (with the exception of feeding when they are split up for around 48 hours). I have not witnessed any breeding but I have kept a record of the females weight over the past few weeks and she has not had any noticable weight gain nor girth size. She is also still feeding. This leads me to believe that she is not gravid, can anyone tell me what I have done incorrectly any advice will be appreciated
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2006, 07:04 AM   #2
Cat_72
I'm no expert on Rosy's, but I do find it odd that you have 2 males and one female together. I know in many species, if you have a higher population of males than females, the males will compete to see who can breed her, and in the end nothing gets done, they are more concerned with each other than the female. My suggestion would to be to limit it to one male and one female together....you can always "rotate" the males if you feel the need.

Old 06-04-2006, 07:08 AM   #3
woodini254
Thanks for that this what I had initially although the male showed no interest (maybe it was too early in the year, this is why I place a second male in with her. I know that in some pythons and boas multiple males are required to initiate sucessfull breeding and just assumed that this may be the case. I will add that this is my first attemt at breeding Rosy Boas so I may well make mistakes.

Old 06-04-2006, 08:05 PM   #4
aliceinwl
This is my first stab at breeding too, so take my advice with a grain of salt

I have 1.1 that I'm putting together for 5 days on and 2 days off for feeding. I've been giving the female two mice rather than one a week. I wittnessed a couple of breedings over the previous weeks, but this week things have really started to pick up. Everytime I look in there, Fluffy (the male) is either courting or they're breeding. Princess isn't looking any different, but since there's so much breeding going on, I'm optimistic.

How old are your boas? I've heard that you get the best results in terms of breeding when females are at least 4 and males at least 2. You might want to check out this page as well: http://www.localityrosys.com/husbandry_propogation.php it has some useful breeding info.

-Alice

Old 06-04-2006, 08:10 PM   #5
aliceinwl
One more thing, my guys are pretty discreet when it comes to breeding. I have to look very carefully in order to tell that somethings going on (no hooked up tails held high in the air here). If you see the male deliberately crawling on top of the female and staying there, there's a good chance he's courting, try to find the tail tips and if the vents look like they could be lined up, they probably are

-Alice

Old 06-05-2006, 09:42 AM   #6
AncientDNA
I've never heard of anybody using two males at once with one female. There might be some stress involved with that scenario...
Anyway, I tend to use the 5 days on, 2 days off method for April thru June, and sometimes into July. You still have all of June left so I wouldn't worry about it yet. This year, due to matters out of my control, I have been forced to adopt a 7 day on 7 day off approach. We'll see what happens...
The coastals I've worked with tend to grow fast & breed young. 3 years easily for females. I even had an accidental breeding of a pair of hypo borregos at 2 years.
I try to feed my gravid females all throughout the process, but limit them to one or two smaller items. Some will accept a meal every week during gestation and some will not touch food at all until they give birth, but most will feed, albeit sporadically.
You can't go wrong following Jerry's localityrosys.com website.
Good luck and post pics of the younguns if/when they arrive. If you catch them in the act take a few pics too. Mine don't tend to be too camera shy while coupling, especially when you reintroduce them after a separation.

Old 06-05-2006, 01:32 PM   #7
woodini254
Hi Alice thanks for the advice I always listen because some may know more than me (more often than that). I will check out that website. The main thing I was concerned about is the 'No Weight' gain which I would have associated with pregnancy also she still feeding, I also thought that this would have been too late in the year for breeding. As for the age of the adults I was told that they bred 2 years ago so the age is very obscure. Ill let you know what happens again thanks.

Old 06-05-2006, 01:35 PM   #8
woodini254
Also thanks for your info John much appreciated, not many breeders of these delightful animals over here in the UK.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!