NEED SOME BREEDING ADVICE, PLEASE! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-06-2007, 11:14 AM   #1
Donel
Question NEED SOME BREEDING ADVICE, PLEASE!

Hi all,
Could use a bit of breeding advice on this one,here's the scenerio-

I have a male who was proven by the previous owner/owners,so the guy is not a dud,but I can't get him to court any female I put him with?
I've tried everything from temp changes to other males in the enclosure to other males sheds etc...... All the typical tricks.......
This guy is around 5ft and I have 4 females from 6- 10ft That I want him to take care of(ok at least 1 of them!!!! HA HA!!!)
My question is-Has anyone tried to put a male in with multiple females? And if so with any success? For some reason over the years I've never tried it(as my thinking was the male would be overwhelmed by so many females and might not figure out where the sweet spot is!HA HA! or be able to copulate under that much pressure!),but have not had a male this stubborn! This guy is frustrating the SH_T! out me !!!!(He just lays on top of them and chills) I can put all 4 females in with him as this guy is a very high end special boa so any female he takes care of will be good.
Any advice etc... would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks alot,

Old 04-06-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
kmurphy
Just curious. When you use multiple males are the other males trying to copulate with the female? Are the males fighting?

Old 04-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
Donel
Hi Kevin,
No fighting no interest? I'm just mind boggled at this point

Old 04-06-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
Donel
Forgot to mention,though I have added males in the enclosure,I have not left them in for any long periods of time due to fear of the other males copulating with the females.The other males are alot lesser quality so don't want these particular 4 females accidently knocked up by the lesser males.
Thanks

Old 04-06-2007, 06:42 PM   #5
Paul Kent
Might sound like a dumb question but, are you 100% sure its a male? Have you sexed him or had him sexed. I've had a few snakes sold to me as males that turned out to be female and vice versa. Just a thought...

Old 04-06-2007, 08:52 PM   #6
Donel
Hi Paul,
Yep 100% sure he is a male.He is proven by the previous owner who is a reputable guy and also proven for Pete Kahl.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:06 AM   #7
garweft
Are you being patient enough?

It took my male 3 months or so of "pillow talk" before he finally was allowed to do the deed. Boas aren't cornsnakes, they don't always breed when you want them to. I would just put them together and leave them alone.

Also, why would someone sell a proven "very high end special boa". Usually when I see adults for sale I tend to think poor breeder, especially with high end morphs. I know that's not always the case, but it's still something to think about.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:56 AM   #8
Donel
I appreciate the input,but never had a boa take three months to copulate before?
Also the special boa I bought was PROVEN on more than one occasion and was proven this season also.So he's definitely not a dud.Reason the previous owner sold him was,he had a gravid female earlier in the season by this male and I paid quite a bit for him.
Also,I noticed a little action tonight,which is a good sign,so he's starting to show some interest.
Mainly I was just curious as to see if anyone has ever put a male in with multiple females and had any luck?
Thanks again for the input

Old 04-07-2007, 07:53 AM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
The female needs to be ready too. If she's not cycling and emitting pheromones, than the male has no stimulation to get him going. That would be my guess.

This is not the usual season for boas to mate anyway. Usually they are mostly active about breeding towards the end of the year, though there are those that act out of season. I've seen activity as early as June and July, but hardly ever before that, and usually not till around Sept and Oct. with a peak interest around the end of the year. This is what i have come to notice, doesn't make it gospel, as Boas will mate when they are ready, and we can't do anything to make that happen any sooner.

You may try, (since you want to have control over who gets who), is putting another males shed into the enclosure rather than the male itself. Also, have you played with their feeding schedules? Smaller items, less frequent feedings?

Just be patient. If one or the other is not ready, you can't make it happen. And if you try too persistently, you may end up with a stressed out female. If she is stressed out, she may not take even if bred.

My 2 cents
Rick

Old 04-07-2007, 09:11 AM   #10
Donel
Hi Rick,
Yeah,tried the shed thing.As far as in season,out of season,the weather here in MI is cold right now so I figured I could get him to breed as I have 4 others going at it.Also I play with the temps and humidity,so normally I can get them to breed pretty much any month.Also my reptile room has no light which also fools them so I have total control on the environment.Even in the summer when it's hot I can control the temps,humidity,light etc....
Yeah,that was my guess too as far as the females.But I have 4 more than mature females(1 proven 3 virgin) so the chances of all not being ready?That's why I thought about putting multiple females in with him to see which might be ready? So who knows,think I'm just impatient.I'm sure eventually it will happen,just wanted him to start like yesterday!!! HA HA!!!!
As far as feeding,I have messed with the feeding.Fasting the female for a bit of time also the male(as per textbook breeding etc..).Then feeding small items etc.....
Thanks Rick,appreciate the input...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!