Ratio and lurkdom - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:32 AM   #1
Lucille
Ratio and lurkdom

I am not a math person but I was checking out the ratio of views to posts.
In the BOI, there is a huge ratio, many are checking out reputations and posts because what they read there is meaningful in their own choices of who to purchase animals and supplies from. They may not always take a stance and post, they are rather using the information they see to make wise choices in their own purchases.
I saw a rough ratio of about 10:1 views to posts in the forums though. Some more, some less.
I would love to see that ratio decrease, and have more people participating instead of just reading and lurking.
I am going to continue to try to respond to as many forum posts as I feel qualified to answer, because that's where it all starts, one person helping another.
You shy little violets out there, we want to see you post!!

Old 04-09-2006, 02:24 PM   #2
coyote
I'm afraid I could not let myself be confined to Lurkdom. I broke out a long time ago and no one has come looking for me.

I guess that 10% of us can't let a good argument go unanswered. Or maybe some of us just like to read our own words (so what if I do).

I approach it much the same way as you Lucille; I comment where I think I can contribute, I initiate when I have something to share or to stimulate dialog about a specific subject.

I'd be real interested in contrasting the level of participation in this venue, ie posts made by different members vrs. lurkers, with what happens in other social groups like classes, meetings, protests etc.

In college I found that there were only a small percentage of students raising hands, answering questions and expressing ideas. And, it was always the same persons (I was one of them). This may be attributable to common human group psychology.

So who wants to do a Study?

Old 04-11-2006, 12:01 AM   #3
hhmoore
In the real world, I am a lurker. Here, I get to hide behind the anonymity of the keyboard and subject you all to my ramblings.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!