Dont know what to do. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-15-2005, 02:19 PM   #1
kaykay
Dont know what to do.

I have a veiled chameleon. My friend also has one but she keeps it in a glass tank. The tank is really big but the problem is ventilation. it pretty cold where my friend lives so she says that is why she has a glass tank. she says the pet store told her she wouldnt be able to keep it warm enough and humid enough in a screen cage. she has a screen top and she keeps a fan going in her room. her cham is perfectly healthy tho. i have told her to get a screen cage but she says her parents wouldnt buy her another cage seeing as they bought this one. i dont know what to do becuase i realy like her cham and i kno she does too. any advice would be greatly apreciated. thanks

Old 04-15-2005, 05:10 PM   #2
pohcy
Wink Cages can be quite affordable!!!

KayKay~~~

How cold is the area your friend living in? Is it colder than where i live... i live in Buffalo, New York and the temperature around here is basiclly below 30 F for almost 6 month of the year and still i can keep both my veiled chameleon's reptarium at around 75 F at night and 90 F in the afternoon. To maintain these temperature, i placed a 100 watt bulb on top of the cage and place the cage beside the window to receive some natural sunlight. i also bought a Mr. Moisture misting system to provide water to my chameleon......... To maintain the humidity of the reptarium, i placed a plastic Softray cover on the bottom of the reptarium to collect the water that drip on the bottom of the cage while misting. The heat from the lamp will evaporate the water at the bottom of the cage and thus increase the humidity.

Basically the pet store owner might just wanna sell their glass tank therefore they usually "BS" a lot........ When i wanna get my Veiled... the pet shop ppl told me the same thing and try to sell their glass tank package to me for $250. Luckily i went online and purchase a complete cage package for less then $100. Furthermore, If you have time you can actually make your own screen cage 2'*2'*4' for about $70 ( without painting the cage) .......

hereby i attach the link to LLL reptile for the complete cage package and the DIY screen cage from chameleon paradise......Hopefully this will help you!!

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/...cage-packages/

http://www.chameleonparadise.com/2x2x4DIYCage.htm

Old 04-15-2005, 05:37 PM   #3
kaykay
thanks so much. I will tell my friend and hopefully she will agree.

Old 04-15-2005, 05:47 PM   #4
kaykay
i am actualy on the phone with my friend right now and she is wondering if had any steps on building a screen cage for her chameleon.

Old 04-15-2005, 06:31 PM   #5
whitey4311
Glass and chams is a no no. Any reflective material will cause stress big time and lower the chams life span. When people come over to see my Vield I will place him in front of a mirror for a few secs to show his colors and he goes nuts. Imagine if you I placed that mirror in his cage all day with him. You need to get a screen cage.

Old 04-16-2005, 11:41 PM   #6
pohcy
KayKay....
this is the link for the DIY screen cage form Chameleon Paradise
http://www.chameleonparadise.com/2x2x4DIYCage.htm

Old 04-17-2005, 09:56 AM   #7
kaykay
ok thanks

Old 05-10-2005, 02:09 PM   #8
mike1124
hey pohcy do you know if there is any kind of outdoor paint that is reptilesafe i was looking for some and all of them seem to have toxic chemicals if it is safe to use them please tell me thanks

Old 05-10-2005, 09:39 PM   #9
whitey4311
You cham wont eat the wood that the paint is on so dont worry about it. I used Helmans outdoor and weather proof sealer. Its in a green can and says UV proff, water proof, and weather proof or somethign like that. Let the cage air out for a few days after the last coat and use a diluted anti bacterial soap to wash it down and rinse it off well. This stuff works great and my cage is misted 7 times a day for 5 min at a time so it is pretty wet on the floor and the base during the day. I would put more coats at the bottom to help combat the mositure since that is where it will all collect at. Use about 3-4 coats and sand between for the bottom portions and about 2-3 coats for the rest. Have you seen pics of mine?

the last pic is of the floor which is actually fake tile that is silconed around the edges to seal it up and the bottom edge is what I was talking about. I just had to resand it slightly and add 2 more coats so that is why I am giveing oyu the heads up to add more coats the first time.

Old 05-10-2005, 09:47 PM   #10
whitey4311
PS i have to kick the PUG out of the cage more than I do trying to keep the chams in it, lol? Every morning he goes in there to walk around and sniff the tree that is when I watch him real real close, if oyu know what I mean. The funny part is that he never sees the chams often but when he does and they are on the floor he freaks out. It's like a new animal invaded his space that he never knew about, lol.
Have fun with your cage and get some pics up. I have more of mine if you want to see the misters ect and ligthing for some ideas.
PSS I'll give you a godo idea for your baskign light set up to make it look more presentable. Take a close look its easy to do.
Cut out the "O" ring that is in the middle and leave an even amount of the metal pins on each side and slip it over the ceramic fitting on the reptile light. It keeps a metal to metal contact on the light to prevent it from getting hot directly on the shade and serves as the part to hold it up there evenly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!