"Pet Peddler" Troubles and Unusual Species - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 09-07-2003, 11:13 PM   #1
Shai Gurl
Angry "Pet Peddler" Troubles and Unusual Species

Ok, I've been fighting with a pet shop a fair distance with me over their sales of turtles under 4 inches. Most of which appeared to be slider species, cooters, painted maps, and what appeared to be some species of terrapins. I hadn't been back for a while until today when I was shocked by the "array" this time. Most were slider species, about 1/3 were SNAPPERS (species unknown, probably common snappers), and an odd species that I haven't really seen before. All the other turtles were the size of silver dollars, basically, these new strange ones were the size of quarters or smaller. They had a thicker/rounder shell then the sliders but not to the point of a typical tortoise's shell. They swim very well... The shell is jet black, with yellow ticking on the edges, and 3 broken yellow stripes along 3 semi-ridge looking peaks (one line/ridge down the middle, and one on each side of that between the center dotted line and the shell's edge itself). The underside is a nice crisp orange. I've been looking around for the particular species, finding it looked kind of like a Tricarinate Hill Turtle, Asian Three-keeled Turtle (Melanochelys tricarinata). I'm working on getting a few snapshots for legal sakes, and mental - Does anyone know of any other species that resembles my description? I know I haven't seen one before for sale online, on turtle sites, nor in any other shop. Perhaps if I cannot get them to stop/get busted for the under 4 inch turtles, and the species is matched up as oh say - An endangered/CITES permit sort of reptile then perhaps the tortured animals in that shop may be removed for that since nobody will get them out of there for abuse or illegal sales. Anywho, I'm working on pics as I said - But any info or web sites would be very appreciated.

-Sara

Old 09-08-2003, 09:04 AM   #2
Shai Gurl
Forgot one thing about the set-up

Forgot to mention that the snapper hatchlings were killing off several of the other species, especially that smaller unusual striped black species. And if you ever had a doubt in your mind as to how much this pet shop cares about their animals - They have 2 (or was it 3?) sub-adult dwarf caimans in a 55 gallon tank, with a few smaller terrapins, and a bunch of frogs and tadpoles (bufo species I think, many were dead or dyeing, clogging up the filter system's corner). AND... Right next door to that was a tank a little under the 55 gallon size with 13 adult dwarf rabbits (a few were standard lop sized). Anyone want to join the cause?

-Sara Eyre

Old 09-09-2003, 08:49 PM   #3
Wu-Gwei
Does it have greenish-yellow stripes on its neck and limbs? If so, it may be a Chinese Golden Thread (Ocadia sinensis), which is a common species in south-east Asia.

Cheers,
JJ

Old 09-10-2003, 08:44 PM   #4
Shai Gurl
Looked up a few pics of Ocadia sinensis...

... Definitely not Ocadia sinensis, too many mottled/intricate stripes. Its more simple on the turtles, has a swoop over it's eyes to the back of the head, and minimal (3-4) tiny faint green streaks on parts of the forearms. I'm going to try and attach a picture of the three keeled that made me think it was that species. It looks just like this, only the yellow shell markings are more vivid, and a bit more rounded with slightly more defined stops (black gaps) between the stripes. The shell of the hatchlings is also a bit more black, although I don't know if it'd change with age? I'm not the most versed person in turtles.

-Sara
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2003, 09:13 PM   #5
Wu-Gwei
Hi,

It's not an O. sinensis or the other common Reeves Turtle. This looks like a Cuora spp. (which is on CITES, but very common though in the US b/c it's regularly bred). I am not positive which species it is though without the head, limbs or plastron. If I were to guess, I would say Curoa flavomarginata. I will ask a friend.

Cheers,
JJ

Old 09-10-2003, 10:40 PM   #6
Wu-Gwei
My friend also said it's hard to positive ID without the head and limbs. He says they're Curoa trifasciata. I was close.

Cheers,
JJ

Old 09-11-2003, 09:13 AM   #7
Shai Gurl
I will have pictures in a matter of 1-2 days.

The head looks a bit big for it's shell size, limbs and head are black with those before said head swoops and green markings, background is completely black. The bottom of the shell is a pale sherbet orange, very pretty in contrast. The picture I'd attached was of Melanochelys tricarinata from another site. It was the best picture I'd found for the top of the shell. I'll work on a collage of my pictures (however many turn out right, I'm about the world's worst photographer), and post them soon as I can. Or at least I'll post when I have them a.s.a.p. for mailing (in case I can't get it to upload). Anyway, I have to scoot - But I must thank you and your associate for all your hard work and assistance in this matter. I have the FDA at work with me, and will be having the DoW once I get an ID on the turtles from more reputable turtlie experts (such as yourselves).

Again, many thanks;
Sara Eyre

Old 09-12-2003, 06:59 PM   #8
Shai Gurl
GOT THE PICS

They're not the best but are better then my typical photo style (that is, you can actually see WHAT is in the picture). The limbs resemble those of a slider far as formation goes... And if this picture does not upload I'll e-mail it to you and anyone else that wants to take a crack at it.

-Sara Eyre
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2003, 11:49 AM   #9
herpetological
Pic

E-mail the pic to hrpbrdrsch@netzero.net i'm sure I can ID the species.

Old 09-23-2003, 10:19 AM   #10
herpetological
Thanks for the pic's. Appears to be young Malayemys subtrijuga. Some turtle species are different in color from the adults. How much are they asking for them? That should give you an idea of the rarity as well. Hope that helps? Ray G. HBR

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!