When does 13 = 14? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
rainbows-r-us
Talking When does 13 = 14?

No babies at the morning check, then early this afternoon I checked again and noticed this in Lola's window...

Yup, she dropped her litter - cool!! Was deposited outside the hide on the cage floor and most were already cruising around. I started pulling babies and after a few I pulled the hide box with mom inside and noticed she had deposited the last egg sack in there with her. She was not moving so I continued with the cage. Pulled all the babies in the cage, 12, plus the one with mom = 13 right?

Wrong, when I pulled mom to get at the ;last egg sack I noticed this:

Yes, there are two heads in there = TWINS!!

And as if that weren't proof, after they left the sack they were still joined by their shared umbilical cord which they eventually pulled apart from each other.

And on a side note, last year I had only 91 babies, this year twin one was baby #91 and twin two was baby #92. Super sweet way to surpass last years count!!

Old 09-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Reptile Frenzy
Sweet! We have a couple rainbow boas and are looking to breed. Never bred boas before. How do u do it?

Old 09-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
rainbows-r-us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile Frenzy View Post
Sweet! We have a couple rainbow boas and are looking to breed. Never bred boas before. How do u do it?
Check out my website, I have a breeding care sheet there which would give you a lot of info to start with.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
Reptile Frenzy
Ok cool thanks a lot!

Old 09-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
Focal
Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
That's pretty cool. Gonna have to share that pic with them in the sac with my mom if you don't object. She'll enjoy something like that.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
JCCS
Twins in boas are so cool. I had a litter of BCI in 2009 with two pairs. So cool. I think it might happen more often than people think and they just don't get there in time to see the two snakes in the same sack.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
rainbows-r-us
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCS View Post
Twins in boas are so cool. I had a litter of BCI in 2009 with two pairs. So cool. I think it might happen more often than people think and they just don't get there in time to see the two snakes in the same sack.
I Agree but one clear clue is having two half size babies. I believe I've had 2 1/2 pairs over the years. Two BRB pairs found still in sack each time and both twins together weighed the same as one normal baby weight for the rest of the litter. The 1/2 pair was one half size BCI found cruising along with a half sack, half slug in the slime pile. In that case I think it was twins but the other did not develop.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #9
Helenthereef
I really enjoy your photos, many thanks for posting. In particular showing the joint umbilical cord is amazing!

Hope they all do well

Old 09-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #10
rainbows-r-us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
I really enjoy your photos, many thanks for posting. In particular showing the joint umbilical cord is amazing!

Hope they all do well
Doing well so far. I did not see the joined umbilical cord in my first pair of twins a few years ago. It was pretty cool to watch them slithering around joined at the hip. Neither could go far without the other.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!