Something to ponder..... - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you use this hypothetical stuff?
Yes 15 26.79%
No 37 66.07%
Not sure or maybe, explain below. 4 7.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2007, 09:53 PM   #71
GQMedic
Great idea, although not necessary...

Firstly, in the spirit of keeping things light, I will spell out my personal opinions and feelings about the subject.

1. I am not opposed to venomoids. The have their place.

2. I don't have any dislike for vets performing the procedure.

3. This hypothetical drug certainly bears it's merits.

4. I don't keep venomoids, I like my hots as hots.

5. I am not concerned about being envenomed as I do not (free)handle my hots AT ALL. I don't pet them, touch them, kiss them or sing silly love songs to them. If I go into any of my hots domiciles, I use a snake shield and a hook and I have a forceps and furniture tongs handy for any enclosure work and I keep a clear barrier between me and my hots. I shall not be bitten period, ever, that is my resolution and I'll do all things to prevent that.

6. I do not keep hots that I can not by my ability keep safely, utterly. I do not over-estimate my ability or under-estimate my hots ability to reach any part of me.

With number 5 in mind, I have no use for a venomoid or a hypothetical drug that will eliminate a snake's venom. My hots live in secure enclosures that offer me complete visibility so I can do what I like to do, watch "Hot snake TV".

I have pondered and this is what I've come up with. A part of my attraction to hot snakes is because they ARE hot. They are unique in the fact that you can't pick them up like a kitten, that they command a great level of respect, that such an animal is a small percentage of snakes that are kept by herpetoculturists / amateur herpetologists. A thing of beauty that is a rarity to be kept and observed closely. Why would I want to change that? It wouldn't have the luster and allure if rendered "safe".

I am fascinated to watch the venom work on a prey item before it is eaten by my hots. It really is something to be in awe of and difficult to describe to the point that "Not" keepers can't truly understand without becoming "Hot" keepers, and that limits learning. I am resolved to keep these magnificent animals whole that in keeping them, I grow to better understand them as time goes on, to sensibly manage inherent risk associated in doing so that I may enjoy them as they are.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #72
devenomized
GQMedic,

Very good response!

Old 10-06-2007, 08:26 PM   #73
ccole74
[quote=GQMedic].

5. I am not concerned about being envenomed as I do not (free)handle my hots AT ALL. I don't pet them, touch them, kiss them or sing silly love songs to them. If I go into any of my hots domiciles, I use a snake shield and a hook and I have a forceps and furniture tongs handy for any enclosure work and I keep a clear barrier between me and my hots. I shall not be bitten period, ever, that is my resolution and I'll do all things to prevent that.

QUOTE]

This is a very good statement. Dont mean to boot leg the thread but I just had to say good post.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:50 PM   #74
christophermchale
i feed all my venomous on defrost, so i dont keep them venomous to watch them kill stuff.

ive got plenty of snakes i can handle, so i wouldnt need to make them handlable.

i guess im not terribly oppossed to it, but i have no need for it myself.

interested debate though...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!